Advice for making a Wit beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKing

Reaction score
I'm going to try a Wit recipe this week end. I am using about 60% 2row and 40% flaked wheat. I am mashing in a keg with a false bottom and can recirculate and heat mash.
My question is how to set grain bed to avoid a stuck or slow sparge (fly sparge). Should I use rice hulls , mix all ingredients together or try to keep wheat on top of grain bed, stir while raising temps or just let hot wort raise temp?
Just trying to avoid a hasstle in advance, Thanks.

We have been using rice hulls, with great success. I think we have just thrown everything in together, you are going to stir it all up anyway when you mix the water in with it.

Paul B

Honestly, I would substitute some of that flaked wheat for white wheat if you haven't bought it yet. It'll help a little with avoiding a stuck sparge. Either way, it'll be good.

Whenever I do my house Wit, I add 1lb. of rice hulls mixed in with all my grains. 1lb is probably a little overkill, but it does the trick.

Back