Newbie at cheese making & need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yurtkuran

Reaction score
Hello, I am now to making cheese and need some help. Made two different attempts at following the New England Cheesmaking basic 30 Minute Mozzarella recipe. Both times it failed. Below are pictures from my most recent attempt. The curds separated fine but the cheese never came together enough to stretch and form a ball. Any clue what I could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

cheese.jpg

Hello Yooper.

Yes, followed the recipe exactly. Heated the curds in the microwave at 30s intervals until it reached 135, draining the whey each time.

I am using milk from a local dairy that is vat pasteurized (cooked at a lower temperature for about 35 minutes as opposed to ultra uasteurized). Could this be the problem?

Thanks.

Hello Yooper.

Yes, followed the recipe exactly. Heated the curds in the microwave at 30s intervals until it reached 135, draining the whey each time.

I am using milk from a local dairy that is vat pasteurized (cooked at a lower temperature for about 35 minutes as opposed to ultra uasteurized). Could this be the problem?

Thanks.

No, as you definitely don't want the ultrapasteurized.

When you heated the curds in intervals, you checked it often?

I've had similar luck with mozzerellas (some turned out great, others were dumpers like yours). I don't know the answer yet, but I've got some ideas and I'm gonna figure it out in the near future. I've got some new rennet and a pH meter.

This idea that mozzerellas are so easy is a joke. In my experience they are quite temperamental.

Back