Well crap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Having my first yeast problem. Always have fermentation at 12-18 hours. Right now im siting in at 36 with no activity. Popped the top off and it appears to have clumps of yeast towards the top. Here is the problem im leaving town, at 5 today. So should I go a head and pick up some more yeast? Or just say screw it and hope it starts this weekend. And no I did not make a starter, planed on using dry yeast when I bought my ingredients but the shop had non. So no time to make one.

BierMuncher said:
If you don't believe the yeast was bad, I'd give it a swirl and let it sit.

Could just be taking a long nap. You sure you didn't ferment out already?

Yep positive it did not start yet. The date on the vial was a bit older than most of the ones I have gotten. Expiration date was Dec. 07

Worst case...it doesn't start and you loose two days. At least you'll know exaclty what happened though.

If you pitch, you get those two days back...but you'll never really know if the original yeast did its thing or not.

Is it a special strain? If not...pitch and move on.

BierMuncher said:
Worst case...it doesn't start and you loose two days. At least you'll know exaclty what happened though.

If you pitch, you get those two days back...but you'll never really know if the original yeast did its thing or not.

Is it a special strain? If not...pitch and move on.

Cali ale yeast. Do you think any bad things will happen if I wait until mon. to pitch more, if it does not start by then. Hoping it does not get infected or anything. Gonna go give it a swirl right now.

Evvvvery time I've pitched liquid yeast (white labs) without a starter it's taken at least 48 hours to see any activity. I wouldn't give up. It probably won't be going strong til 72 hours and you'll most likely still see activity when you get back.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Evvvvery time I've pitched liquid yeast (white labs) without a starter it's taken at least 48 hours to see any activity. I wouldn't give up. It probably won't be going strong til 72 hours and you'll most likely still see activity when you get back.

Ok well thats good to hear, guess I just have gotten lucky in the past.

I am sure this is due to not having the starter. If it were me, I would consider doing the second vial since the longer it goes without a strong ferment, the better the chances of infection.

Ryan_PA said:
I am sure this is due to not having the starter. If it were me, I would consider doing the second vial since the longer it goes without a strong ferment, the better the chances of infection.

I have done like 5 batches with no starters. Only started doing them a few batches ago. So I don't think that is really the problem.

look the the pol's old threads....just a few weeks ago he had one not start for something like 84hrs...

He said it finally started and turned out fine

Good luck man, I think you'll be ok

greenhornet said:
look the the pol's old threads....just a few weeks ago he had one not start for something like 84hrs...

He said it finally started and turned out fine

Good luck man, I think you'll be ok

haha cool, just found that thread. i guess their is hope.

Ryanh1801 said:
I have done like 5 batches with no starters. Only started doing them a few batches ago. So I don't think that is really the problem.

I understand how it can be frustrating that you followed a process that has worked repedetly in the past, and not this time, however, your issue is caused by underpitching. There could be additional factors adding to this such as airation and the seal oy have on your vessel, but with a proper viable yeast pitch, you would at least have some krausen.

If you do not think this is the result of no starter (under pitching) what do you think could be the cause?

Ryan_PA said:
I understand how it can be frustrating that you followed a process that has worked repedetly in the past, and not this time, however, your issue is caused by underpitching. There could be additional factors adding to this such as airation and the seal oy have on your vessel, but with a proper viable yeast pitch, you would at least have some krausen.

If you do not think this is the result of no starter (under pitching) what do you think could be the cause?

There are too many reason. After reading the Pol's thread I guess im just gonna see what happens. Gonna suck being out of town all weekend and not know if its fermenting though.

Well it finally started up on sat. according to my roommate. woo thats a lot of lag time. Still going strong today.

Ryanh1801 said:
Yep positive it did not start yet. The date on the vial was a bit older than most of the ones I have gotten. Expiration date was Dec.07

That's good that it started and everything'll be fine, but just thought I'd point out that Dec.07 has not yet arrived. Your yeast is actually quite fresh.:)

Back