What is a Belgian IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is a Belgian IPA?

• An IPA with Belgian yeast

• A tripel with extra hops

• Neither, you jackass

Results are only viewable after voting.

rexbanner

Reaction score
What do you think? I know the difference isn't huge. I'm a big fan of both types, but I can't really decide which one I like the most. I will say that I am a huge fan of the style, though.

I'm sorry, i read the post 3 times and still am not sure what you are asking? or if you are just making a comment.

I'm sorry, i read the post 3 times and still am not sure what you are asking? or if you are just making a comment.

Hah, I was making the poll to go with it. Check it out.

I say a trippel with extra hops, but all the hops are american varieties. So... I guess that would be an IPA with belgian yeast. Um... yeah.

most belgian ipas use noble type or low alpha hops, just more of them.

i would say that it is like an ipa with noble or low alpha hops and a belgian yeast strain. also keep in mind that the high fermentation temps will add tons of other characters as well.

i was contemplating this exact question just minutes ago. i literally just pitched the yeast on today brew - an IPA w/ belgian malts - but using US05 and high AA american hops. i'm not sure what i just brewed, but i hope it to be a malty east coast style IPA. is that a Belgian IPA?? typically when i do IPAs with saison yeasts or tripel yeasts i really consider that the "belgian IPA".

Colonel, just curious, what belgian IPAs did you have with noble hops? I've only tried three - Cali-Belgique, Raging *****, and Houblon Chouffe - but they all had american C hops. I'd love to try another subset in the style. :mug:

Went for the "jackass" choice. :D

An IPA with Belgian yeast
Nope because it uses the grains of a Belgain along with the yeast.

A tripel with extra hops
Nope, because it's not extra Belgain style hops, it's lots of American hops.

Of course, I could very well be the jackass . . . :eek:

Colonel, just curious, what belgian IPAs did you have with noble hops? I've only tried three - Cali-Belgique, Raging *****, and Houblon Chouffe - but they all had american C hops. I'd love to try another subset in the style. :mug:

im almost certain that the la chouffe uses styrian goldings and saaz. i think it may use amarillo too, but this is all based on memory which is poor.

i had an excellent homebrew belgian ipa as well which the brewer told me he used saaz and mt. hood only,

further investigation shows that most do use american hops. i was just going on my memory.

im almost certain that the la chouffe uses styrian goldings and saaz. i think it may use amarillo too, but this is all based on memory which is poor.

i had an excellent homebrew belgian ipa as well which the brewer told me he used saaz and mt. hood only,

further investigation shows that most do use american hops. i was just going on my memory.

I think you're right about La Chouffe. Damn, I guess I'll have to get homebrewing.

Went for the "jackass" choice. :D

Nope because it uses the grains of a Belgain along with the yeast.

Nope, because it's not extra Belgain style hops, it's lots of American hops.

Of course, I could very well be the jackass . . . :eek:

I should have clarified on the tripel choice, a tripel with some American hops and higher IBUs. Like Houblon Chouffe.

Latest posts

Back