First set of kegged beer was a success.except for setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully_PA

Reaction score
Brewed up using canned extracts and added goodies a Irish stout and a American light for the lady friend...Kegged em and threw them in my newly built kegerator just a week before thanksgiving....Needless to say the stout is gone and both got better with age just didn't have the patience and all who drank like em anyway.
Heres where the problem came....I was in a hurry and didn't have a manifold so I Y connected the 2 kegs to the co2...and that worked fine when the 2 kegs where close and I forced carbed them together....but being the kegging newbie I am when the stout kicked I hooked up a Canadian brew and thought I could force carb it...unhooked the gas line to the light and gave her 30lbs shook her up a few times..next day not thinking I hooked the light up and it started siphoning the Canadian over threw the gas line OMG:eek: It didn't hurt the light (how can you hurt a light) may have improved it....but I ordered this right away....no more Y connection....my only concern is I didn't ask if the manifold had check valves in each port to prevent this....guess I'll see when it gets here....I plan on having 4 taps and 4 carnies in the kegerator right now i have 2..
93_1_b.JPG

doesn't seem like it came with check valves, but you can get inline check valves pretty cheaply at usplastics, about a buck a piece. did you get that manifold from thargrave?

Y's work pretty good as long as you got a shut off on each line exiting the Y. That way you can control it better. I've been using that setup with one regulator and it's been working out pretty good.

Just FYI - you don't have to use 30 pounds of pressure and shake a keg to carb it. Just hook it up at serving pressure and let is sit for 3-4 days. It's much less hassle that way

rdwj said:
Just FYI - you don't have to use 30 pounds of pressure and shake a keg to carb it. Just hook it up at serving pressure and let is sit for 3-4 days. It's much less hassle that way

thanks guys! And I'll be using the 3-4 day method from now on....:mug:

Back