After a drastic temperature drop, can I bottle carbonate/condition my stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenind

Reaction score
I always ferment in a temperature controlled refrigerator (I live in a HOT country). However, my controller gave up on me and I had to rely on manually maintaining the temperature by switching the fridge on and off to maintain the temperature at around 64F (18C).
One day however I forgot to switch the fridge off before I went to bed and the temperature dropped to 48F (9C).

I used Safale-04 and the fermentation seems to be complete. My readings have stabilized at 1.024 for a couple of days. (OG 1.048)

1. Is this a stuck fermentation?
  2. Has this drop in temperature caused the yeast to flocculate extra, leaving little or no yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer after I bottle?

I don't want to swirl the carboy as I don't want the krausen clinging to the sides in my beer.
I have tasted the beer ans it tastes awesome. Should I just go ahead and bottle? :)

I would bring it back to fermenting temp myself. Then after a few days, take a hydrometer reading, wait 3 days and take another. If you haven't changed...Bottle, just take a little yeast over into the bottling bucket when you transfer.

Cheers
Jay

I have resumed my manual temperature control. The readings have stabilised (I use a refractometer). I guess I'll wait for a couple of days more and recheck the reading.
I'll take in some yeast while bottling. I guess stirring the priming sugar solution should also get the yeast into solution.
Cheers and Thanks for your reply.

You probably want a much lower gravity, otherwise it will be very sweet and you risk bottle bombs. If the gravity isn't dropping to around 1.012 or so after a few more days give the yeast cake at the bottom a stir and then wait a few more. 48F isn't that cold and wouldn't have killed the yeast, just made it drop out. You could also add fresh yeast as that will always work.

You're the first person in India I've seen on the boards. Where do you get ingredients? Did you lose power these last few days? I didn't read it impacting Mumbai.

I have resumed my manual temperature control. The readings have stabilised (I use a refractometer). I guess I'll wait for a couple of days more and recheck the reading.
I'll take in some yeast while bottling. I guess stirring the priming sugar solution should also get the yeast into solution.
Cheers and Thanks for your reply.

Once the readings stop moving, forget the refractometer and use a hydrometer.

Refractometers are inaccurate once alcohol is in the mix, as alcohol changes the way light refracts. I bet if you use a hydrometer, you'll find this beer is actually much lower than 1.024!

Refractometers are inaccurate once alcohol is in the mix, as alcohol changes the way light refracts. I bet if you use a hydrometer, you'll find this beer is actually much lower than 1.024!

Good point, you can also try plugging in your data here to get a more accurate reading:

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

You're the first person in India I've seen on the boards. Where do you get ingredients? Did you lose power these last few days? I didn't read it impacting Mumbai.
Very few homebrewers here in India. I buy most ingredients abroad and get it delivered to friends, family, whoever agrees to get me stuff if they are travelling here :)
I get malted barley and DME from my mentor homebrewer and soon to be microbrewer who buys it in bulk from North India.
Mumbai never faces power cuts normally and we were not affected by the grid failure up north.

Yeah, silly me, I didn't adjust the BRIX value while posting here.
My adjusted gravity is 1.009

Good point, you can also try plugging in your data here to get a more accurate reading:
http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

In my experience some of the krausen always clings to the side of the fermenter.
well hahaha.. my language was a bit off. "I don't want the krausen clinging to the side of my fermenter to get into my beer" :)

Back