Apfelwein: What should I be seeing in the airlock after a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morarmis

Reaction score
So last month (8.21) I started my first batch of Edwort's Apfelwein, second batch of anything ever (the first being JAOM, which is currently maturing in bottles.)
I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of being forced to use apple juice with vitamin C added, which is supposedly okay. There literally wasn't enough totally organic variety AJ to be had in the area, I checked all the stores.
At the time I did not have a hydrometer, so I have no readings from the start.

It bubbled away healthily for quite a while, but when I've come down to check on it lately it's been very still. I can still see a little bit of action near the top of the liquid, but the airlock is sitting at even pressure. The apfelwein has cleared out and the yeast seems to have all sunk to the bottom at this point.

Should I be concerned? Should it still be going?
I attempted to take a hydrometer reading this evening and most determined that I need more practice with a hydrometer.

So yeah, I figure I'm probably just being overly concerned, but I'd like an opinion.

Thanks in advance.

agreed. after a month, it's fermented out. i'd secondary it at this stage, and let it sit for a few more months to get it off the yeast

Awesome! I had a sneaking suspicion it was a bit of newbie panic. Now I shall play the waiting game with it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back