My HME made hoppy beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
...but really, it's almost overwhelmingly so.

It's a Mr. Beer "whispering wheat" that i'd tasted at two weeks (last weekend) and it sure tasted like beer, but it had a lot more bitter than I anticipated - too much, perhaps, to be enjoyed.

I know the answer answer is to move on to partial mash or allgrain and add all my own ingredients to my liking :ban: however, is there a way to get it to be less hoppy? I haven't bottled it yet, so I'm hoping the other answer is 'time'.

HMER= Hopped Malt Extract. Malt extract that already contains the bittering hops and is ready to use by the late addition method to prevent hopp cook off and volatilazation. My spelling is horrible, hope I spelled it right. So have a brew and be patient. When the FG hits a plateau, then bottle and condition as long as possible. Chill for 2 days and enjoy...
Bob

(I wasn't sure if the kit for a wheat beer would technically be a HWE........)

Thanks for the help men :D Does temperature affect the speed at which hops 'fall out'?

Latest posts

Back