Shipping overseas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Here's the deal... I have a friend that lives overseas (in Russia actually). I'd like to send the friend a couple of bottles of what I've made (mead most likely). Just looking to see if anyone's done this before, with success, or if there's regulations preventing it from happening. I know that I won't be using USPS for this. I was thinking of trying either FedEx or UPS (FedEx is probably the better option I think).

I already have the bottle protection item on hand, so making sure they arrive intact shouldn't be an issue. I would plan to over-pack/pad the bottles to ensure nothing bad happens too.

So, has anyone done this before?? Has anyone attempted it before? Would prefer to know either way before I try it...

To a regular street address? Embassy or Consulate?

My experiences in Eastern Europe have convinced me that the local postal services are untrustworthy over here. I honestly wouldn't bother sending anything via the local mail in the few Eastern European countries I have lived in...

If its going to an Embassy or Consulate you should find out if they use APO or DPO and you have a much better shot at it getting to its destination.

Good luck.

Used to live in the sticks of the Czech Republic. Never had issues receiving anything by regular post, but that never included beverages or liquid. I have successfully received homemade merunkovice (apricot brandy) shipped from there to the US together with other gifts without problems. Nothing special was done. Granted none if that's too much help. Assuming it's not the last of a 10 yr old specialty, I'd say go for it.

Back