Step Infusion Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey guys another quick question. The Pils recipe that I'm working with for my first AG batch calls for a three step infusion mash. Am I right to believe that I can use my BK to mash in at a low temp for 15 min., raise it higher for 15 min., then raise it to the final mash temp and place it into my mash tun to mash at that temp for 90 min.? I'm kind of confused about this and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I think you count the 1st 2 steps in that 90 minutes, unless it is a 120 minute mash. I think also, the normal procedure for step-mashes, is to mash in the mash-tun, raising temperatures with additions of hotter water each time to reach the desired temperatures. Beersmith can give you the temperatures needed for the separate infusions.

I'm double checking the the Pappazian book and he has an almost identical recipe to mine, but using different grains and hops. I'm going to use the same procedure as in that book. At one point it says:

"Add 4.5 qts. of boiling water to the mash. This will raise the temperature to just about or below 155 degrees F. Hold at about 155 degrees F for 30 to 45 min, stirring occasionally. Complete conversion by raising the temperature to 158 degrees F for 10 to 20 minutes or until an iodine test indicates complete conversion. Then add more heat to raise the temperature to 167 degrees F."

My question is, am I simply adding some boiling water and stirring to hit those 158 and 167 degree temps? It didn't give me how much water, so I'm assuming I just pour and stir.

Papa says that for every lbs. of grain, 1/2 quart of H20 @ 212 F will raise the temperature of the mash about 25 degrees F. Have you done a search on step-mashing yet? There is a whole bunch of people who say they really are not necessary with today's malts. Just a suggestion.

I heard that too, but I'm using Pilsener malt. I thought lager malts needed protein rests and the heat had to be raised gradually? I'm so new to AG so I really don't know. Maybe a single infusion is really all is required.

You are probably right if you are using European Pilsner malt. IIRC, they are not as highly modifed as domestic, and probably do require the protein rest. Most domestic malts are modified enough that a single infusion mash is all that is required, so I've read. You'll find your answers here, I'm sure. Just do a search on step mashing. Good luck.

I just double checked around the site, and you're right. Many people say that the malts are so modified now that the protein rests aren't really necessary. I'm going to go with a single infusion and just hope for the best because it's my first AG. I mean RDWHAHB right?

I am curious if I'll have mash out though and how I would do that if I do. I was planning on using my 5 gal water cooler as a mash tun. Do I slowly transfer the mash back into my brew pot and raise the temp briefly before lautering or do I just sparge with 175 degree water to stop conversion?

I just double checked around the site, and you're right. Many people say that the malts are so modified now that the protein rests aren't really necessary. I'm going to go with a single infusion and just hope for the best because it's my first AG. I mean RDWHAHB right?

I am curious if I'll have mash out though and how I would do that if I do. I was planning on using my 5 gal water cooler as a mash tun. Do I slowly transfer the mash back into my brew pot and raise the temp briefly before lautering or do I just sparge with 175 degree water to stop conversion?

You just sparge with hot water for the mashout. But, believe it not, a mash-out is not required either....:)

This seems to be getting easier and easier the more I read. By the way, your quote is awesome.

Back