Critique my Dunkel as an ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
Good morning! This the is the first recipe I've worked on that was made more out of whole cloth instead of modifying an existing one. I want to make something that's similar to a [edit] schwarzbier, but I only have access to ale temperatures.

My vision is a clean tasting beer, quite dark to the eye, balanced bitterness, not sweet or thick in the mouth, and without strong roasty overtones. The biggest unknown for me is Carafa, I've never used it before so I'm not entirely sure of its effects. I understand it adds color without the bitterness of a roasted husk, what else does it bring to a beer, flavor wise? I'd like a relatively simple grain bill, because I want the beer to not be overly complex in flavor, it is not supposed to be a stout. This recipe won't make a dunkel to the published styles I know, but I want something that's nearly black while maintaining a clean flavor.

Tastybrew calculator:
(batch size: 4.5 gallons, boil size: 3 gallons, partial mash)
OG: 1.052
abv: 5.0%
IBU: 21
SRM: 38

3 lbs DME
1 lb pale
2 lbs Munich dark
0.75 lb Carafa special
0.25 lb Crystal 60L

0.25 oz NB (10%) 60 min
1 oz Czech saaz 15 min

Yeast: Nottingham
Primary fermentation: 57-60°

...I want to make something that's similar to a dunkel, but I only have access to ale temperatures.

Just FYI this is not an issue since Dunkelweizen is an ale. Per the BJCP guidelines in the ingredients part of the descriptions:

Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

Unless I am missing something...

Edit: Nevermind. I am missing something "only have access to ale temperatures." Sorry. Normally we are reading the opposite that people can't Lager.

I'm not actually making a dunkelweisen (BJCP style 15B), a dark wheat beer. The Munich dunkel (style 4B) is a separate style and does not necessarily include wheat, and won't have the spicier flavors of a dunkelweisen.

Back