Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my two meads going right now, one on the left, the more orange one, is a show mead with raw honey from Oakland, one on the right is a peach tea mead with snapple peach tea and honey from oakland as well.

Is the raw honey from Oakland "Wild Mountain Raw honey"?

YUP, super good honey. local honey is definitely the way to go, as local honey is so good for the immune system. im sure some of those benefits come through the mead.

YUP, super good honey. local honey is definitely the way to go, as local honey is so good for the immune system. im sure some of those benefits come through the mead.

haha thats crazy. that's the same stuff I used!

Gravity sample of my blueberry mead. Needs more time.

1398727368820.jpg

From what I've heard, although the company is based out of Oakland, it's not actually local honey. It's sourced from various parts of the world. I believe it's a mix of US, Mexico and India honeys. I have no proof of this - just hearsay gathered from other mead websites. I did some research on it a while back when I was looking for local honey for allergies. I use Wild Mountain Raw Honey sometimes as well. It's decent, but not the best.

I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor with bee hives, so I usually buy liter jars from him, both for meads as well as just a household sweetener. 100% local and 100% raw. :D

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399067419.107464.jpg
3 gallon traditional at second racking. Mostly made with clover honey and step-fed with mesquite honey. I've taken to calling it the "Beast-Mead" because the yeast have gone into beast mode and chewed through everything I've added. It's currently at over 18% and 1.001-1.000 and still going.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From what I've heard, although the company is based out of Oakland, it's not actually local honey. It's sourced from various parts of the world. I believe it's a mix of US, Mexico and India honeys. I have no proof of this - just hearsay gathered from other mead websites. I did some research on it a while back when I was looking for local honey for allergies. I use Wild Mountain Raw Honey sometimes as well. It's decent, but not the best.

I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor with bee hives, so I usually buy liter jars from him, both for meads as well as just a household sweetener. 100% local and 100% raw. :D

I like that stuff a lot, but I haven't really tried a lot of different honeys. One of the main reason I like it, is the price, and it still makes good mead. I gotta look around for some local bee farmers in Sacramento and buy from them.

Made a berry mead by dry fermenting a traditional and then racking it onto some thawed frozen mixed berries. Bottled it into a large wine bottle with a zork, and then this:ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399517138.179199.jpg

Top view, apple cider. Never made cider before so I hope I like it:) day 1 of primary

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399762921.982260.jpg

My first gallon of JAOM, pretty yummy!

My own eyeballed recipe for some cinnamon mead. Put a few cloves , 3 cinnamon sticks, some ground cinnamon and a few splashes of pure vanilla extract. Clocked at OG 1.73.

20140512_221806.jpg

20140512_224758.jpg

My first gallon of JAOM, pretty yummy!

My own eyeballed recipe for some cinnamon mead. Put a few cloves , 3 cinnamon sticks, some ground cinnamon and a few splashes of pure vanilla extract. Clocked at OG 1.73.

1.73? Wow, if that ferments dry you're looking at about 96% ABV! ;)

I need to make some JAOM. Been meaning to for a while, just haven't yet.

Haha! Obviously I don't know how to read a hydrometer ):

Edit: Took a closer look at the hydrometer, must be at a 1.073 not 1.73 :)

Haha! Obviously I don't know how to read a hydrometer ):

Edit: Took a closer look at the hydrometer, must be at a 1.073 not 1.73 :)

Haha! Just messin with ya. I knew you obviously meant 1.073, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a smart azz. :p

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400550352.422865.jpg
Traditional orange blossom from a local apiary in San Diego. Delicious, very light and floral and tastes best chilled I think!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401306916.674037.jpg
On the left, "Red Headed Shield Maiden" ( experimental batch), on the right traditional with "côte des blancs" yeast...

14486924009_a47c6d3d78_c.jpg

Raspberry Vanilla Mead... my personal favorite, and my most successful wine among the locals. Out of 5 gallons, these 5 particular bottles got the wax seal for extended aging. In 10 years I'll open a bottle and we'll decide what to do with the rest of 'em after that. :D

This pic doesn't do them justice though.... the mead itself is an absolutely brilliant red color. One of the best looking wines I've ever made. For whatever reason the raspberries imparted a much more ruby shade than they usually do.

sick ass bottles man, does it taste sickly fruity though? i've only had what i guess i can call commercial, probably aged 4 mo's melomels that tasted kinda sickly. howsit taste? i really want to make that recipe the BOMM style

14486924009_a47c6d3d78_c.jpg

Raspberry Vanilla Mead... my personal favorite, and my most successful wine among the locals. Out of 5 gallons, these 5 particular bottles got the wax seal for extended aging. In 10 years I'll open a bottle and we'll decide what to do with the rest of 'em after that. :D

This pic doesn't do them justice though.... the mead itself is an absolutely brilliant red color. One of the best looking wines I've ever made. For whatever reason the raspberries imparted a much more ruby shade than they usually do.

Those bottles really are badass. I'd buy that if I saw it at the store for sure. :mug:

Cataloged all my mead last night to see where I was at.

kb0QsNW.jpg

Starting at the left column and moving right.
1st Column - bomber and 12oz of Peppercorn saison mead - From 2/27/14
2nd Column - One 750 and 2 bombers of Vanilla Hydromel - From 1/1/14
3rd Column - One 750 and 6 12oz bottles of Lambic mead - From 5/12/13
4th Column - One 750 and 1 12oz bottle of Three honey traditional - From 5/20/13
5th Column - One 750, one 500, and 2 12oz bottles of Blackberry Mead - From 11/13/13
Front - One 12 oz bottle and a glass of Bochet - From January 2013

So all in all, about 340 FL oz of ready to drink mead.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406946425.234354.jpg

Oaked Bochet I made in early January.

I hate to be "that guy", but...

Originally, I was going to pour it because it tasted weird, but I bottled it and forgot about it for 7 months.
Just found the bottles in a Rubbermaid container in the basement and it is pretty decent.

I always used to be annoyed by the "set it and forget it" mead folks, but they're right in this case.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407770160.913621.jpg
Blackberry Mead. This is my first mead. About 3 1/2 years old and getting better. Down to 9 bottles and trying to savor them on the right occasions.

Bottling my 2 year old heather honey mead. Been looking forward to trying this for a long time because a lot of money went into it

1408297809741.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410607391.929802.jpg
My caramelised honey Hydromel :)

Yes it is cloudy but nobody seems to mind and it tastes just fine so if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Latest posts

Back