noob yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
most of the beers i want to make call for a yeast starter

#1 understand the process kinda going to put it into a glass jar with small batch of wort. but when do u know when it's ready to pitch

#2 when do u add it. at the start or do u add it when u transfer it to a second carboy

#3 if u make a batch of beer and save the slurry. i guess u save it in baby jars. But where do u store it fridge /room temp. Also how long will it keep before it goes bad. thnks

Hey,

#1 - You prepare your yeast at least a day before but 2 days before in my opinion is best. You know when it's ready when fermentation activity has stopped and the yeast starts to fall.

#2 - You add it at the start as soon as you cool your wort down to the proper pitching temperature. Go on my site www.grimmysbeer.com follow the yeast link I have whitelabs, Wyeast, and some dry yeast temperature ranges. You want to pitch within those ranges.

#3 - as for this question I cant really answer it I have never done it before. This usually involves cleaning the yeast for reuse and it is somewhat of a process. For me I just buy yeast it's cheap and easy

Hope this helped,
Grimmy

1. I disagree with the whole 2 day thing or waiting till its done fermenting. I try to pitch at high krausen (usually about 18-24 hours later). I have had much better luck this way. Here is a quote from Mr. Malty:

Mr. Malty said:
Q: At what point do I pitch the starter into the wort?

A great deal of discussion rages over this topic. Should the starter be fermented completely, the spent liquid decanted, and the yeast pitched or should the entire starter be pitched when at the height of activity?

Most yeast experts say that when propagating yeast, moving at high krausen is optimal. The time of high krauesen can range anywhere from a few hours to twenty-four or more. It depends on the amount of yeast added to the starter wort, yeast health, temperature, and several other factors.

Doss says a starter made from an XL pack of yeast into 2 liters of wort will reach its maximum cell density within 12-18 hours. If you’re starting with a very small amount of yeast in a large starter, it can take 24 hours or more to reach maximum cell densities. For the average starter, let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours.

I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 12 to 18 hours. This is really convenient, because I can make a starter the morning of the brew day or the night before and it is ready to go by the time the batch of wort is ready.

Of course, if you have a large starter volume in relation to your batch of beer or a starter that was continuously aerated, then you probably don’t want to pitch the entire starter into your wort. Adding a large starter or a heavily oxidized starter to your wort can alter the flavor of the finished beer.

If you’re going to pitch only the yeast from the starter, make sure the starter attenuates fully before decanting the spent wort. The yeast rebuild their glycogen reserve at the end of fermentation and it is this glycogen that they use when preparing to ferment a new batch of beer. Separating the spent wort from the yeast too early also selectively discards the less flocculent, higher attenuating individuals in your yeast population. You may end up with a pitch of yeast that won’t attenuate the beer fully. Allow the fermentation to go complete cycle, chill, decant the beer and pitch just the yeast.

2. Yes, at the start when it is cooled.

3. You would store the yeast in the refrigerator. Read the stickies above (Yeast Washing and Yeast Slanting).

Nice! well Jamil is the man so I guess I'll have to try pitching at high krausen see how it works out. Good info BigB

jamil may be the man, but there is also evidence to the contrary (related to when yeast glycogen levels are highest, which is after high krausen). in reality, both will work....the more practical issue hinges on what you're planning to pitch, the yeast or the whole starter. if you spend a bunch of time carefully crafting a recipe with regard to ibus, gravity, etc., why screw it up by dumping in 1.5L of unhopped piss beer (which you have to do if you pitching at high krausen)? granted, if you're brewing a stout, you prolly won't notice. if you're brewing a pils, you're prolly making a mistake.

ferment, crash and decant, FTW.

1.5 L of unhopped beer will not affect the flavor of a 5 gallon batch peceptively. That is less than 8% of the total volume. Big deal, so less than 8% of your wort was not included in the original boil. That would change the IBU's so minutely you wouldn't even taste it - Pilsner or Stout. And, your gravities will not change by more than .003- again not perceptable. For example, if you had a 5 gallon batch with an OG of 1.050 and diluted that with a 1.5L starter that had a gravity of 1.010, you would end up with a gravity of 1.048. Oh, and don't forget that starter had fermented so it has an alcohol content as it is. Which means the effect of the final gravity would be even less. I sincerely doubt a world class brewer like Jamil would make such recommendations without understanding the ramifications.

EDIT: Now granted if you were making a one gallon starter, I would agree that would likely affect the flavor.

prob a dumb question but if i use a smack pack do i still have to make a starter if the recipe calls for it

prob a dumb question but if i use a smack pack do i still have to make a starter if the recipe calls for it

Wyeast claims that it is not necessary for beers that have an OG of less than 1.060, but the general consensus on this board is that you always should. First, it will verify that your yeast are viable. Second, it will get them wide awake and ready to go. Third, it reduces lag time and can help prevent stuck fermentation. Fourth, if it is an older pack, there aren't nearly as many viable cells as a fresh pack.

Wyeast claims that it is not necessary for beers that have an OG of less than 1.060, but the general consensus on this board is that you always should. First, it will verify that your yeast are viable. Second, it will get them wide awake and ready to go. Third, it reduces lag time and can help prevent stuck fermentation. Fourth, if it is an older pack, there aren't nearly as many viable cells as a fresh pack.

Yeah, but the 1.060 is on the safe side. I've done beers with OG's of higher than 1.060 with no starter that ferment to completion in around 4 days (of course, that was with Rogues Pacman uber yeast) :)
I would say (insert a BIG grain of salt) unless your OG is above 1.080 or so, you'd be fine without a starter.

I have only been brewing for a few months myself, but I wanted to throw my two pints into this mix. My first 2 batches were dry yeast packets that fermented well, when they did finally take off. As of my 3rd batch, on my 5th now, I have been using a starter consisting of expired whitelabs yeast from my LHBS. You can probably get it at least half price, if not more. Each batch with a starter has taken off within 2-4 hours and all fermtented like crazy.
Anyways, if you plan out your brewing schedule (and most of us do cause of SWMBOs) then you can have your starter going for about 36-48 hrs. and ready to pitch. Try a starter. I don't believe you'll be disappointed even if you decide not to use one in the future.

Back