Premier malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread - I love the history behind this. A hearty tx to the OP, and I hope he and his grandfather enjoyed much of it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it, does anyone know of a Canadian supermarket chain that carries it?

the Fermentation has slowed a bit not as rapid as yesterday when it blew the lock that morning...gray stuff ...that krasen thingy is forming and the bubbles are still rolling very interested in how this turns out with the way the extract was added. Glad to know now that malt cyrstals add more carmel to it ...

would someone explain the use of crystal malts.....If i have malt extract why add the other...curious and still green horn?

sure. Other malted grains, like Crystal 120 or Carafa I or Black Patent Malt, will add flavors, aroma, and coloring to your beers. check out www.brew365.com for descriptions of several base and adjunct malts (and hops too). www.northernbrewer.com has some good descriptions of what different malts and hops taste and smell like as well.
Get your hands on Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" for even more information. He actually has some recipes that call for premier malt extract in that book.

I found this thread way back in the middle of June and have been keeping up on how everyboby has done with the PME kits. At last, I got my 2-5gal. carboys going a couple days ago, using the instructions on the can. Except for the bentonite. I remembered the last time I made this stuff, that there was a slight grain haze to it and I was hoping for a clearer beer. Won't hurt to try anyways. Should have taken a hydrometer reading but it shouldn't be too important on this end. I will take one to be sure that it doesn't get bottled too soon though. Don't believe how cheap some of you folks get this malt for. I can drive to the Premier Plant in 45 minutes and I had to give $9.50 a can...and that was a 2 case order to boot. Got tht "Light" "Hopped Flavor". Wish I would have gotten 1 case without any hops so I could double up, 2 cans to 5gal. without over-hopping it. Oh well. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Today I noticed that Premier isn't using the same type of yeast that they used the last time I made some. 35+ years ago. The old type must have been a lager because it fermented on the bottom of the carboy. The kind I got with this batch floats on top. Should be an ale yeast?...Guess ale yeast would be easier to care for if the weather is warm. Got an old freezer and a batch of real lager yeast to try later, when I get a thermostat control. Or the $$ to buy one with.

Was going to bottle it up in 32oz. "Quart" bottles". These are the real deal too. A buddy who used to brew, gave me a gaggle of em. My problem is I don't know how much priming sugar to use in the bigger bottles. Seems like 1 level tsp. should be about right. I realy don't want to guess though. Is there anybody out there that knows for sure how much to add? I be beholding to ya....

the corn syrup is sure fine wondering what this stuff will be like...was rather a purist...1 can of PME light (hopped)(that is what the grocer had), 1.5 cups of corn syrup, 4 gallons of water and what ever yeast they had in the lid of the can. The hope is a english style ale. have no clue what this will taste like...open to hints ....

With only 1.5 cups of corn syrup, isn't this going to be sort of on the watery side or is that how sweet it is compared to sugar. 5 cups of sugar in mine. You might be able to beef it up if you have a bigger size fermenter. Just wondering...LOL

Ranger Bob,
Don't prime the finished beer by putting sugar directly in the bottles. Rack the finished beer into a "bottling bucket" that will hold the whole batch, then stir in the complete amount of required priming sugar, boiled for a few minutes in a little water, to the bucket. That way, all the bottles will be uniformly carbonated just the right amount.

You're right about that "REV". Not only will it come out more consistent, it's faster too. With only 20 bottles per 5gal. it's not too bad. Right now I have a batch of Welch's goin in my primary fermenter and it's the only clean bucket I have and haven't used for fish. At 14%, you should see the airlock on it. "It's Doin The Dance". Liked that story about the jug you left in the car....LOL That's like something I'd do. You got anything brewing now? I had to make some beer to drink while I waiting for the wine to age. The house is getting a unique smell to it now.....Bob:D

Rev I found that method worked well after I attempted putting a bit of sugar in a bottle to prime...It was after 3 bottles i decided to liquify this sugar and add to the bottling bucket still capped off every bottle including the sugar ones..later i wanted to see the difference It seemed the liquified priming sugar was the better method the carbonation is there. The result was more to my liking...will work next on the steeping of additional grains in the 3rd batch..not much can be done on batch number two it finished bubbling two days ago

Hey "Olt", Which one is #2? I have an idea if it's the one with a cup and 1/2 of syrup. You guys are right about mixing the sugar in the bucket. I could sure save a lot of grief and more than one way.....YESSSS INDEED...It's the way to go, for sure. I'm just kinda stuck where I'm at right now and it's not by choice. I see "REV" has a container problem too. By the way, I can't answer PM's. Something wrong with my computer. I hope you understand. My comp is new and it has a couple of glitches. Hope to sort them out. Think it was a program I added last week. DIVx
Bought a new beer at the carry-out today. It's called "Flat Tire". Has a cool picture on the bottle of an old Schwinn bike sporting a springer front end. Think that's what sold me. At $4.95 for a 22oz., I bet they don't sell very many. Does have a good flavor to it and 5.2%. I'm in the wrong biz.
Even if my brewing skill never get any better, I have managed to to double the population of beer bugs in the house. I wouldn't mind em but they want to kiss me on the lips and drink my beer. Have an X-Wife that'll do that.

#2? my second batch is a bit different instead of 1.5 cups of corn syrup I added 1.5 pounds of dark brown sugar and two cans of malt extract..., The 1st batch i ever made was one can of premier malt extract light ( but hopped) with 1.5 cups of corn syrup...not brought to boil added to water for a total of 4 gallons....it made a nice brew this second batch going is very much different.

Oh...That one. You're on you're own there, #2. Well...I just had a sudden streak of
enlightenment. Didn't see what you two guys were trying to tell me. Duhhh... If the volume of the sugar is one size in a 12oz. bottle, it will be the same size (volume) in a 32oz. if the sugar level remains the same. That is if I mix it in a bucket, like you said. It's amazing how things come about clear as mud sometimes. I thank you both for helping me out. Couldn't have done it without you two. That's funny. Got to laugh at myself.

Update on my 2.5 gallon batch--one week into primary and the airlock has almost stopped and the yeast is starting to flocculate. Looks like it's going to be a nice color and the aroma is really nice. Couldn't help it--had to sneak a taste. From what I could taste around all the live yeast I think it's going to be a pretty drinkable brew. I think I'm going to have about $12 in the batch and get about 24 bottles. About what I'd give for a case of the pale yellow stuff, EXCEPT it will taste better AND I made it myself!

sounds like your 24 bottle will be quite nice... Looks like today is bottling day...going to add the prime and go from there will be interesting...have 5 gallons to bottle up and let sit for another two weeks.... gees that is going to be rough....Do have a question...Curious as to use a pure dark molasses as the priming sugar...has anyone done this where they prime with a solution of beer and dark molasses? The intent is to have a darker beer and the Molasses should complement the beer well. just curious.

Made a 5 galion batch of molasses beer one time. Didn't have any hops at the time and it sure needed some. Might try it again now that I have some. Read that Geo. Washington used to drink it. It wouldn't have been too bad. Try and prime a batch an see. Don't think it would be bad. Going to boil 2 or 3 black licorice stick candies in my next pot just for fun.

that sounds like a fun endeavor. This molasses should roundout the hopped Premeir malt extract light that was prepped up. I have found some sources for hopps near so i will work on that for the next batch. Molasses beer is a taste concoction I have had it before but only commercial. Now a fun treat would see what can be made that is close to a blackened voodoo beer.

I cannot understand why you folks think PME is so great; after all, it is just another brand of LME isn't it?
Especially since it's so hard to find.

THe main reason I talk about it is that it is very easy to find down here in this part of Alabama. I can walk into the grocery store and get 10 cans on any given day... Its not a bad malt, Its extremely versitile and the results so far aren't bad. For me its like your first cigar....you start with one brand enjoy it move to another check it out and go back time to time to the one you started with. Plus its great to check notes with others who are working with it. Have a great one from the deep south.:mug:

PME has a fascinating history as well, dating back to pre-Prohibition days. It's well worth taking the time to read about it online. It's a shame it's not available in more places, but for a lot of us it's definitely more convenient than a trip to the LHBS. Actually I work fairly close to my LHBS, but since they're the only game in town and they know it, they're a little pricey. PME is a handy alternative when you need a basic hopped malt for a simple beer or a batch of Graff. I'm trying to at least buy enough along so that my grocery store will keep carrying it.

I live in central Fla w/no LHBS and no brewpubs, etc.
About a year ago now, I did ask the mgr of my local Publix to order me some Dogfish 60--he did it!
I notice now that D60 is now regularly stocked on their shelves--so personal requests do work sometimes.

I go up to Atlanta every few months, so I do have access to well stocked liquor stores, restaurants/brewpubs, and a good LHBS in Alpharetta.

I am sure that the publix grocer could get it for you. In this area a good many of the folks still cook with PME in breads and such.... Glad it is here.

It's mostly carried in the small chains and independent grocers I think--Foodland, Piggly Wiggly, Lucky's, Hometown Grocers, etc. I'm no expert on the grocery business, but the majority of those stores are so similar in their product lines I tend to think at some point up the distribution chain they're getting a lot of their stuff from the same place. You might check some of the small local grocery stores if you have any around--it's usually stocked near the syrup & molasses.

Beer that was in the fermenter was bottle off a few days ago (two) and decided to try the beer. It has a nice foamy head on it and the brown sugar in the fermenter did its thing. The finish is bitter the issue i have now is the middle seems week...I believe this is where soaking some grains in the wort before the boil in a long steap will help this nicely...I do like it just still seems like carbonated thick apple juice with foam...and a kick. It is young too... seeing that it needs two weeks in t he bottle.

I just bottled my 2.5 gallon PME batch and I was waiting to see how it turned out to see if this "DIY Beer Kit" was worth mentioning or not. Seems to be going OK, so I thought it might be safe to share it with the world. Here it is:

**Note** This is not intended to be a real craft beer. Just something to try if you're in the mood for something easy, have limited space/time/money, all your fermenters are full, etc, etc. I've done this exactly once, so YMMV...

1 - 2.5 gallon container of spring water (the square kind with a spigot)
1 - 2.2 lb can Premier Malt Extract - light hopped
1 - package Munton's Ale Yeast (or you can use the yeast that comes with the PME if you feel sure it's fresh)
2 cups table sugar plus some for priming
24 - 12oz plastic soda bottles, cleaned & sanitized
1-airlock with rubber stopper (rubber is important)
1- sharp knife

Break the seal on the spigot of the water container and drain about 1.5 gallons into a clean container. Heat 3 quarts of the removed water to a boil and remove from heat. (Optional: you can do this as a no-boil beer; just put 3 quarts of the water into a sanitized gallon jug.) Add the can of malt extract and the sugar; shake/stir vigorously until completely mixed and there is no extract residue clinging to the bottom of the container.

Clean and sanitize the top of the water container on the outside. On the top of the container, use a sanitized sharp knife to cut a 1" hole, making it as perfectly round as possible. Pour the malt/sugar/water mixture back into the container through the hole and top up with remaining water, leaving about 1 to 1-1/2" of head space. When the wort has cooled to about 80 degrees (if you did a boil,) pitch the yeast. Seal the hole with airlock & stopper. It is important to use one of the white rubber stoppers--the silicone kind are too firm and will not make a tight seal. Rubber stoppers are flexible enough to accommodate imperfections in the shape of the hole.

Ferment until airlock activity stops and you can see through the container that the yeast has dropped. (1-2 weeks). Clean and sanitize 24 12oz plastic soda bottles (Dr. Pepper works best). Prime bottles with 1/2 tsp table sugar per bottle and fill from the spigot on the water container. Condition in a dark place. When bottles have become rock-hard, wait one more week before chilling & serving.

When you're finished bottling, throw the fermenter away. When you're finished drinking throw the bottles away. No racking, no hoses, no capping, no boiling (if you prefer), no mess. You're done. You can make this and drink it while all your carboys are full of mead & apfelwein that's taking forever to age. Or while all your fermenters and kegs are full of that really good beer you're making for the holidays. If you have an extra airlock & stopper and you live near one of those country stores that carries Premier Malt, you can do the whole project without even a trip to the LHBS. Good luck!

well tomorrow is the opening of the beer after two weeks of sitting. the samples taken early in the week and last week show that it gets better with time...the Carbonation is just right...will see what the verdict is....Also will be going to the homebrew sto in Bham for hopage and yeastes

I'm right behind you, OP. Most of my bottles are still carbing, but there's one that has been rock hard for a few days--must have had a little extra yeast in it from bottling. I've been thinking seriously about chilling it this evening and giving it a try. I'm really curious to see if my makeshift "DIY Beer Kit" with the 2.5 gal water bottle really makes beer or was just a wild idea. Look forward to hearing the results of the taste test.

that is so cool on that DIY beer kit...I have to track down the homebrew store in bham tomorrow..Oh the carbonation on this bottle was well a bit heavy...molasses does make a great primer...ALL of the bottle look great will see about it tomorrow...they are carrying a heavy alcohol number tho

Let me know about that LHBS in Birmingham. My work has an office in Pelham and we have doctors in B'ham so I'm down there pretty often. Be interested to know what they have. The LHBS in Huntsville is an old health food store that hasn't been renovated (or cleaned) since the 70's. That's why I was so glad to find PME at the Foodland down the street.

I just bottled my 2.5 gallon PME batch and I was waiting to see how it turned out to see if this "DIY Beer Kit" was worth mentioning or not. Seems to be going OK, so I thought it might be safe to share it with the world. Here it is:

**Note** This is not intended to be a real craft beer. Just something to try if you're in the mood for something easy, have limited space/time/money, all your fermenters are full, etc, etc. I've done this exactly once, so YMMV...

1 - 2.5 gallon container of spring water (the square kind with a spigot)
1 - 2.2 lb can Premier Malt Extract - light hopped
1 - package Munton's Ale Yeast (or you can use the yeast that comes with the PME if you feel sure it's fresh)
2 cups table sugar plus some for priming
24 - 12oz plastic soda bottles, cleaned & sanitized
1-airlock with rubber stopper (rubber is important)
1- sharp knife

Break the seal on the spigot of the water container and drain about 1.5 gallons into a clean container. Heat 3 quarts of the removed water to a boil and remove from heat. (Optional: you can do this as a no-boil beer; just put 3 quarts of the water into a sanitized gallon jug.) Add the can of malt extract and the sugar; shake/stir vigorously until completely mixed and there is no extract residue clinging to the bottom of the container.

Clean and sanitize the top of the water container on the outside. On the top of the container, use a sanitized sharp knife to cut a 1" hole, making it as perfectly round as possible. Pour the malt/sugar/water mixture back into the container through the hole and top up with remaining water, leaving about 1 to 1-1/2" of head space. When the wort has cooled to about 80 degrees (if you did a boil,) pitch the yeast. Seal the hole with airlock & stopper. It is important to use one of the white rubber stoppers--the silicone kind are too firm and will not make a tight seal. Rubber stoppers are flexible enough to accommodate imperfections in the shape of the hole.

Ferment until airlock activity stops and you can see through the container that the yeast has dropped. (1-2 weeks). Clean and sanitize 24 12oz plastic soda bottles (Dr. Pepper works best). Prime bottles with 1/2 tsp table sugar per bottle and fill from the spigot on the water container. Condition in a dark place. When bottles have become rock-hard, wait one more week before chilling & serving.

When you're finished bottling, throw the fermenter away. When you're finished drinking throw the bottles away. No racking, no hoses, no capping, no boiling (if you prefer), no mess. You're done. You can make this and drink it while all your carboys are full of mead & apfelwein that's taking forever to age. Or while all your fermenters and kegs are full of that really good beer you're making for the holidays. If you have an extra airlock & stopper and you live near one of those country stores that carries Premier Malt, you can do the whole project without even a trip to the LHBS. Good luck!

So tonight I just had to open one of these and see how it's going. They are still carbing, but one or two of the 12oz soda bottles have been hard for a few days. It was just barely chilled, but I went ahead and tried it anyway. And.....

It's gonna be pretty good, I think. Still obviously very young, but smoothing out well. This particular bottle was reasonably well carbed; still could use a little more, but started to make a nice little head. It is, like the can says, "lightly hopped," but that's OK; I'm not a hophead. Considering I have $12 in the whole batch, no boiling, and everything except my airlock & stopper is disposable, it's going to be a remarkably drinkable beer for very little effort & money. If it were any easier it would be apfelwein....

This taste has convinced me to give it a little more time so I can really enjoy it. I think I'll pick up a few more commercial brews and get by for a few days longer and give it some time to really come around. I think this will make a nice Thanksgiving present for myself!

If anybody else tries this recipe or the disposable "kit" I'd like to hear about it.

Had another one of these last night, right after drinking a commercial BMC-type "light" beer. The water-bottle brewed PME beer was at least as good and shows every sign of being much better, if I can keep my hands off of it for a few more days. I can also see room to improve--swap the sugar out for a pound of light DME and this could be a very, very nice beer. Plus it has to be just about the easiest way to make beer out there, other than perhaps those 2-liter soda-bottle kits. Definitely will be doing another one. Since my workshop isn't air conditioned, I need to set up a row of these this spring to get ahead of the hot weather.

sounds like a plan.. I haven't started up a new brew. the 5 gallons with the two cans told me that was the way to go. I did learn if too much home is partaken of that in the morning a skull crusher of a headache will result if one hasn't partaken 4 times in water. The entire batch was more than enjoyed by 30 something folks...I like just think some flavoried malts and hops will turn it to what i would like a the longer it sits the better it gets

I'm kind of a light drinker--usually one in the evening or a glass of wine or homebrewed cider is plenty for me. Was kind of rare for me two have two beers back to back but I wanted to do a taste comparison. However, I can tell from tasting this batch that it would be easy to partake of quite a bit of it :) I really need to get a couple more batches going so I can find out how much better it can get--it's hard to leave this one alone. I'm just pleased at how my rigged-up kit method worked out--I'm sure there are ways to make it better but it is cool to be able to run down to the little Foodland store and pick up everything you need to make a batch of homebrew including the container to ferment it in.

A mail to Premier Malt Extract directed me to their Canadian subsiduary/associate, United Canadian Malt.

They only have one 'consumer' product, BruMix, a hopped malt extract in 1.13kg cans. A visit to a local u-brew yesterday, however, confirmed that they are using UCM LME in what looked like 200L (50 gallon) drums.

They only have one 'consumer' product, BruMix, a hopped malt extract in 1.13kg cans. A visit to a local u-brew yesterday, however, confirmed that they are using UCM LME in what looked like 200L (50 gallon) drums.

Sounds like BruMix and PME are most likely the same stuff with a different label.

I'm drinking one of mine even as I write this--after a few weeks bottle conditioning it's tasting quite nice. This particular batch reminds me a little of a Sam Adams. Planning to start another batch soon in another 2.5 gallon water bottle. From everything I read on this thread the main complaint with PME seems to be that the recommended recipe isn't nearly enough malt. Maybe it's supposed to be a lite beer ;) Since my brew space is limited, instead of doubling the ingredients I just half the water. :)

Latest posts

Back