Summit Hops in recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
During a group grain buy I bought a pound though i never used them. I have read mixed reviews and most say smell them first. I opened up a 2oz baggie i had of them and they smell great. That being said I don't want to go to the homebrew store this weekend so going to make an IPA with stuff i have at my house already. It is going to be a 10 gallon batch. Check out the recipe and let me know what you think

20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.0 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 20.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 5 25.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 7 18.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 9.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
just got a WLP001 starter going. Should be good for saturday.

thanks for the reviews fellow brewers

20% is generally considered high for Cara-pils, Crystal in a beer, you might want to cut those in half. I'm not a big fan of the timing of your hops. Just go with bittering @ 60 minutes -as much as you desire in IBU's and then bump all the other hops to 2o minutes or less. Save some for flame out and or dry hopping.

Thanks for the advise. I'll make some adjustments. Where can I learn about what percentage of grain to use in particular styles?

Read and review existing recipes is a great way to learn. Then pick some and brew. A lot of people like "Designing Great Beers" - Ray Daniels, I prefer "Radical Brewing" - Randy Mosher.

I would ditch the summit at 25, I have found that midboil (flavor) additions of summit can really make onion beer. Use it for bittering or very late in the boil. Dry hopping is fantastic with this hop as well.

Looked at reviews and just bought designing great beers online. When I am finished I'll look into radical brewing. Thanks for the suggestion

Back