All Grain Temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonCajda

Reaction score
When it say to sprage with 170* water is that the temp you bring the water to or is it the temp when the water is mixed with the grains.

I know to reach a strike temp of 150* depending on the amount of grains the water temp can differ, is it the same with the sprage water also.

Thanks

I will bump up my sparge water temp as long as it does not raise the grain bed temp above 170, it really depends on your system or mash procedure. If you are adding to a 155 degree mash, no doubt there is room to go higher on the sparge water. Just take check the temps on the grain bed and make adjustments from there.

just remember that to high of sparge temps will extract tannins that WILL transfer to your finnished product, that you cant really ever get out. sparging with H2O that is over 170 F just wouldnt be worth the risk IMHO and if you have sucessfully stoped your conversion there is no need to keep your mash that hot. 165 F is a safe temp that you will or should never extract those tannins.
JJ

Latest posts

Back