bourbon porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS today, and the guy working there helped me put together a recipe for a bourbon barrel imperial porter. It's an extract recipe with specialty grains. I just wanted to post the recipe and get some feedback from the fine folks at HBT:

Malt:
6.6 lbs Munton's Amber malt extract
3.3 lbs Munton's Light malt extract
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Two Row malt, toasted
1 lb Crystal 120

Hops:
1 oz Nugget (60 min, 13.7 AA)
1 oz Fuggels (5 min, 4.0 AA)

Misc:
4 oz oak chips, soaked in Basil Hayden's Bourbon
2 vanilla beans

I'm going for an OG of around 1.086, FG of 1.022, around 8.5 or so ABV. This is my 3rd batch, and the biggest beer I've done so far. It's also the first really malty beer I've done, as my first two batches were an American pale ale and an IPA, respectively. I'm looking forward to getting outside my comfort zone a bit and doing a bigger, more robust brew.

Looks good. I was hoping to try the same style of beer, and this is helpful. These malty beers are a great finisher after having a couple really bitter, hoppy ipa's. Scrubs the pallete well of all that tasty hop resin.

Looks good. Right now, I have a Pecan Porter that uses oak chips that I soaked in bourbon. Good stuff. Definately a different tasting beer, but the oak and bourbon really come through nicely.

Latest posts

Back