Infusion Mash temperature variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I've done a couple of thin mashes (1.4- 1.5 quarts/lb) and have noticed, moving the digital thermometer around in the mash, a big variation in temperature. It's about right when you are in the thicker parts of the grain, but when it's mostly liquid, it's up to 3 degrees cooler. (I'm not talking about temperature drop over time)

I realize this variation happens somewhat with thin mashing. I'm wondering, though, if I should average the temperature or go with what the thicker areas read. Beers are tasty, but 3 degrees can change the profile somewhat.

I always stir, stir, stir until the mash is the same temperature throughout. Thin mash or not (and I tend to mash thin these days), it should still equalize.

I always stir, stir, stir until the mash is the same temperature throughout. Thin mash or not (and I tend to mash thin these days), it should still equalize.

And upon waiting 10 minutes, it separates. Temps are then different, is what I've found...

And upon waiting 10 minutes, it separates. Temps are then different, is what I've found...

Just had a wild idea - I wonder if you had a copper coil, like an immersion chiller, but shorter and with coils of varying diameter in the mash, maybe that would help even out the temperature differences. The bad side is you would have to lift it out to stir. If I had some copper on hand, maybe I'd try it.

That's never been my experience, and I've been mashing at 1.75 quarts per pound. (This last mash was actually at 1.95 quarts per pound but that was strictly an accident- not by design. I need to learn how to divide gallons by quarts...........)

That's never been my experience, and I've been mashing at 1.75 quarts per pound. (This last mash was actually at 1.95 quarts per pound but that was strictly an accident- not by design. I need to learn how to divide gallons by quarts...........)

Hmmm.... Maybe I need a real mash paddle (using a spoon) or maybe my grind has too much flour, or maybe it's cause I have a rectangular cooler, or my watter chemistry is different, or ???

I'll have to try something different next time!

Rich

Back