Oak preperation for sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
When you add oak into sour ales like an oud bruin, do you let the oak sit in water or beer or whatever for a week or two before putting it into the secondary for... the duration of the secondary aging process? How long do you leave the oak in there? I'm thinking of using american or French oak cubes for my oud bruin. Thanks for the help!
Thanks!
If I used WLP530 and WLP001 in primary then racked to secondary onto rosalare... how different would the two versions be?

Matteo57 said:
When you add oak into sour ales like an oud bruin, do you let the oak sit in water or beer or whatever for a week or two before putting it into the secondary for... the duration of the secondary aging process? How long do you leave the oak in there? I'm thinking of using american or French oak cubes for my oud bruin. Thanks for the help!
Thanks!
If I used WLP530 and WLP001 in primary then racked to secondary onto rosalare... how different would the two versions be?

Oud Bruins aren't usually aged on oak. Flanders Reds are, but Oud Bruins usually age in stainless steel. That being said, I soak oak cubes in wine or bourbon usually for a minimum of a couple weeks. Sometimes it's much longer though as I almost always keep some around.

I boil them for about 10 minutes, change the water, and boil them again. I'm not usually looking for a big oak character and this seems to get rid of a lot of the oak tannin harshness.

Oud Bruins aren't usually aged on oak. Flanders Reds are, but Oud Bruins usually age in stainless steel. That being said, I soak oak cubes in wine or bourbon usually for a minimum of a couple weeks. Sometimes it's much longer though as I almost always keep some around.

If it's wine, doesn't the wine oxidize? How do you store them?
Oops, I got it backwards, thought it was the other way around with the flanders red and oud bruins. ha thanks!

If it's wine, doesn't the wine oxidize? How do you store them?
Oops, I got it backwards, thought it was the other way around with the flanders red and oud bruins. ha thanks!

Yeah, it probably does but I don't think it's really any different than when a brewery ages a beer in a used wine barrel. I don't use enough for it to really stand out, it's more along the lines of adding hints of flavor that contribute to the overall complexity. I like using the cubes too rather than chips. It could be my imagination, but I've used both and it seemed like the chips were a little more harsh than the cubes. Oh, and as to oak in an Oud Bruin, I didn't mean to imply that you can't or shouldn't use oak, just "traditionally" they aren't aged on oak, so if you really wanted to brew to style you'd probably want to skip the oak.

Back