The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some solid looking crust and pizza. Dough recipe and proofing method?

Thanks... Here is what I used for four pies:

32 oz flour (24oz 00 caputo, 8oz bread flour)
63% water
2.5% sea salt
1.67% sugar
0.2% yeast

I split the water in half, mixing the yeast in one cup and the salt in another. Stand for about 10 minutes before mixing with the flour/sugar. Mixed/kneaded with a Kitchenaid stand mixer on the slowest setting for about 8 minutes. The dough is then divided into fourths and gently balled.

50 hour cold ferment, brought to room temperature two hours prior to baking.

Just made some last week. I sub out the water in the recipe for beer (room temp) makes the crust so much better. Rub the outer crust with some olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt. Cooked on a pizza stone (oven or BBQ) better then any pizza joints around me

A veggie, basically dusted, and a pie made with my wife's leftover spaghetti sauce (hamburger, mushroom,and bell pepper)... For those using wort, this was from an IPA with a simple grain bill, 2 row, victory, and a bit of carapils. Thought it expressed itself well. Just saying.

View attachment 1434508759805.jpg

Sausage and mushroom from this weekend, on the Big Green Egg. Five and a half minutes @600F and done.

IMG_0879.jpg

Does anyone care to share their sauce recipe? I have a ton of canned tomatoes from my garden last year and would like to use them to make a big batch of sauce. I think having that on standby will motivate me to make more pie. Thanks!

Does anyone care to share their sauce recipe? I have a ton of canned tomatoes from my garden last year and would like to use them to make a big batch of sauce. I think having that on standby will motivate me to make more pie. Thanks!

I have no set recipe, it like every thing i cook and brew I go with what I feel is right at the moment, the large majority of the time I'm more than happy with the results, I could throw some gibberish at you but you probable wouldn't understand:p

Take your tomatoes and strain them, maybe with a little salt sprinkled on them to help get the water out. DO NOT THROW TOMATO-STRAINING LIQUID OUT. In two separate saucepans, slowly heat your salted tomatoes with a few oregano leaves, and a basil leaf if you have it, while bringing the tomato-liquid to a low boil & reducing it. When you liquid is more like a glaze, add it to the slowly heating tomatoes, then stir to mash it all together. You are looking for mostly sauce but with a few chunks - however chunky you like it.

That's it for fresh-tomato pizza sauce. You can add more salt if it needs it, some olive oil if you like, and/or a little grated Parm, but that's as far as I'd go.

Or, you can make a simple marinara, which is never bad on pizzas, just not what I personally consider "pizza sauce".

I like to start with whole canned San Marzanos which I crush or dice. I don't discard any of the liquid from the can. I add a little bit of red wine vinegar (1/4 cup?) to brighten the acidity, some dried oregano and basil (1/2 tbsp each?), 1-2 minced garlic cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. I don't cook the sauce because it cooks while on the pizza.

I love to chunk the tomatoes and stew them with garlic, onion, salt, vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, and meat and/or bones in a slow cooker. I like using beer or old wine to hydrate as the sauce reduces. If you have it, try some dry mustard powder. Start it early, let it go until you're ready. Take an immersion blender or a regular blender/magic bullet type device, and puree the sauce (err minus the bones). Spread thin for flat bread and thick for pan/hand toss.

If you find the sauce too savory, hit it with sugar or ketchup.

I made a pie with prosciutto for the first time. The meat seemed to dry out and get crispy. I made it for my family and didn't try it myself. Is that what I can expect or does anyone know of any tricks to retain some moisture. I may try layering it on tomato slices and sprinkling some fresh mozz on top. Other ideas?

View attachment 1436663801970.jpg

I always add the prosciutto when it comes out of the oven. I find that cooking it ruins the texture.

Ooooooooh (smacking forehead) of course. Thanks. Gonna have to try one of them nice restaurants some time. Metal forks and what not I'd imagine... They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. I'll show them!

This looks interesting, especially given the price point. Oh and all the SS would look nice sitting by the brewery.

http://uuni.net/products/uuni-2

There were a lot of criticisms about the first uuni making pizzas with a significantly underdone bottom. I didn't like that the only video I've seen of the uuni2 had the guy look at the bottom and say it was perfect but never showed the camera.

The other thing is that the size of the oven means all of your pies will be pretty small. If you're ok with that and this one indeed cooks the bottom better, it could be a nice option.

There were a lot of criticisms about the first uuni making pizzas with a significantly underdone bottom. I didn't like that the only video I've seen of the uuni2 had the guy look at the bottom and say it was perfect but never showed the camera.

The other thing is that the size of the oven means all of your pies will be pretty small. If you're ok with that and this one indeed cooks the bottom better, it could be a nice option.

Yeah the size was one of my issues. The website isn't very specific about the size of cooking surface. But it's a hell of a price on the flip side.

Different recipe altogether. This is a high hydration dough, 71%, so it can be a little hard to work with. The recipe I'm giving makes one 8X10 pizza. If you just make one then just mix the best you can with a fork. Sometimes I'll quadruple and use my Bosch mixer which doesn't work well with small amounts. Then I'll bake two and freeze the other two in plastic containers for a week or so.
Flour 160 g
Water 114 g
IDY(instant dry yeast, quick rise)1.29 g or .4 tsp
Salt 2.8 g or .6 tsp
Once mixed just plop it into your greased pan (don't spread yet)and refrigerate at least 24 hrs. 48 is even better.
an hr or so before baking, spread the cold dough in the pan, cover and proof in the oven at about 100 degrees if you can.
This style uses brick cheese if you can find it or mild or medium white cheddar, which is what I use. Cheese the pie all the way up against the sides then add a stripe of sauce down each side, but not touching the pan. Sometimes I put the sauce on when the pie is almost done. Bake at 500 for about 10-12 minutes. You might need to apply foil to keep the top from over baking.

No sugar? Pardon my ignorance...worked for a native New Yorker in high school and we used sugar in all the dough. Is it just the different style?

Yeah, I believe that's a "Detroit Style" recipe there. No sugar. Most common flours are malted. Why add extra sugar unless you're making a quick-use dough. I rarely add sugar no matter what style I'm making.
How soon after making the dough was it used when you worked there?

Yeah, I believe that's a "Detroit Style" recipe there. No sugar. Most common flours are malted. Why add extra sugar unless you're making a quick-use dough. I rarely add sugar no matter what style I'm making.
How soon after making the dough was it used when you worked there?

Really? I thought most dough had sugar. The owner of the place would say if the dough sat too long the yeast would eat all the sugar and the dough would taste 'off.' It was definitely noticeable when the dough sat too long...not sure if the sugar content was actually gone, but there was definitely a taste difference if the dough started to hit the 2-3+ day mark. I'm new to this so pardon my lack of knowledge!

I think the off flavor would be a yeasty flavor from the yeast having more time to fart and multiply. I make my dough 2 to 3 days in advance and let it slow rise in the fridge. I think it gives the dough a nicer flavor then a quick rise out at room temp. If I need to hold the dough over longer then 3 days I make balls and put them in a ziplock sandwich bag with a spray of oil then through them in the freezer. Some times i make big batches of dough and freeze it so i can make pizza on the fly.

Really? I thought most dough had sugar. The owner of the place would say if the dough sat too long the yeast would eat all the sugar and the dough would taste 'off.' It was definitely noticeable when the dough sat too long...not sure if the sugar content was actually gone, but there was definitely a taste difference if the dough started to hit the 2-3+ day mark. I'm new to this so pardon my lack of knowledge!

Maybe some people like a sweeter crust, so the sugar might get the yeast started, but then some remains in the dough. I definitely like sweet sauce and sweet bread. So maybe?

Maybe some people like a sweeter crust, so the sugar might get the yeast started, but then some remains in the dough. I definitely like sweet sauce and sweet bread. So maybe?

That is definitely possible. I also like dough on the sweeter side...not so much the sauce though. I was under the impression that the yeast needed the sugar for the dough to rise. Always something to learn!!

I think that is the intent of the sugar in the recipe. Evets is probably simply pointing out that it isn't altogether necessary. Especially for those with time for a proper cold ferment. Probably similar to using yeast nutrient, if you had a good mash the yeast should have everything they need to ferment your beer. However the nutrient can help kick start the process. I have seen sugar or honey in recipes for savory breads, probably more likely needed if you are putting it on the table the same day. A bit of residual sweetness can be yummy tho!

That is definitely possible. I also like dough on the sweeter side...not so much the sauce though. I was under the impression that the yeast needed the sugar for the dough to rise. Always something to learn!!

Nope, definitely don't need the sugar. And the 'off' flavor you mentioned from long ferments is probably a sourdough flavor, maybe from wild yeast taking over and adding their flavor.

I think that is the intent of the sugar in the recipe. Evets is probably simply pointing out that it isn't altogether necessary. Especially for those with time for a proper cold ferment. Probably similar to using yeast nutrient, if you had a good mash the yeast should have everything they need to ferment your beer. However the nutrient can help kick start the process. I have seen sugar or honey in recipes for savory breads, probably more likely needed if you are putting it on the table the same day. A bit of residual sweetness can be yummy tho!

Think of it like brewing beer, if you add simple sugar the yeast will eventually eat it, probably first before most of the flour (nothing to back me up on that statement, just a guess). If you prematurely stop fermentation (ie, bake the bread) you'll end up with a sweet dough (honey wheat, etc).

There are many many pizzerias out there that make their dough in the morning to be ready by lunchtime. Likely, they use sugar and a lot of yeast to accomplish this. It makes it easier to keep things running smoothly in a production setting. To my taste, these doughs end up with little flavor except maybe salt, making the crust little more than a handle to be thrown away once the toppings are gone. The yeast eat the sugar quickly and produce enough co2 for a quick rise and little else. A more complex flavor is the result of fermentation of the flour itself, not just sugar. This takes more time so, like others, I like to use less yeast(like .25% or so) and give it two or three days in the fridge.

There are many many pizzerias out there that make their dough in the morning to be ready by lunchtime. Likely, they use sugar and a lot of yeast to accomplish this. It makes it easier to keep things running smoothly in a production setting. To my taste, these doughs end up with little flavor except maybe salt, making the crust little more than a handle to be thrown away once the toppings are gone. The yeast eat the sugar quickly and produce enough co2 for a quick rise and little else. A more complex flavor is the result of fermentation of the flour itself, not just sugar. This takes more time so, like others, I like to use less yeast(like .25% or so) and give it two or three days in the fridge.

What do you mean when you say .25%? Does that mean you use 25% of the "normal" yeast pitch, or that you reduce it by 25%?

Back