The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today’s thin crust

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

This Sicilian style came out good, I've only attempted a few times over the years and they've come out kinda poor due to my dough handling.
Adjusted my normal recipe approx :HG flour 70% hydration , 2% oil, 2% sugar, 3%salt, 15% preferment. 24 hr rest @ 59F 3Hr rise 'oven proof' around 90F
I always use my food processor, it's amazing for small batches. I let the dough rise in the same pan with 2 tbs veg oil. gently spreading by hand after a few hours, next morning and before oven proof.
Bake: 5 minute par bake @ 475 convection and about 15 minutes with all the toppings with some broiling at the end
There was some slight sticking on the bottom but released fine with spatula.

Next time i will put more focus on having more of a rise on the crust around the edge.

If anyone interested in a good-easy pizza sauce recipe this is what i use:
25-30oz can crushed tomatoes (redpack surprisingly decent)
1.5 TBS sugar
1 TSP salt
1/4 TSP pepper

Re Hydrated Dry herbs (Mix and add water till consistency is of 'wet sand' & microwave 2 minutes @ 30% power)
3 TSP garlic
3 TSP oregano
1 TSP basil
1 TSP onion
1/4 TSP red pepper flakes (if you like some more heat)

Let cool and add everything to tomatoes mix well and refrigerate (it gets better after a couple days but using right away is still good)

lmT5RJZ.jpg

QalEJ3w.jpg

Ngd just some dough bucket pizza. One thin and one thicker. Low on mozzarella so added cheddar after pizza was done. When pizza was done removed parchment and put back on steel with cheddar. I dont know which i like better. The thin was almost translucent.
20180321_175044.jpg
20180321_175050.jpg
20180321_175111.jpg
20180321_180410.jpg
20180321_175142.jpg
20180321_175130.jpg

Didn't get quality photos because I hadn't planned on posting them anywhere when I took them.. but decided to finally jump into this thread. I've recently been making pizza pretty regularly to try and up my game, and I'm becoming very happy with the results! The below pie was a 48hr cold ferment dough, cooked on a baking stone at 600+ F (not sure of real temp..thermometer doesn't go that high). I don't remember the hydration % offhand.

The cornicione was a little too big and blown up on this one, so for my next pie I'm going to shape the dough a bit differently.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Last edited:
I see some of the people here are using the stainless steel pizza stones, is it worth the money to get the 1/2" ones or will the thinner ones work as well?

I have had ceramic ones in the past but they broke.

I see some of the people here are using the stainless steel pizza stones, is it worth the money to get the 1/2" ones or will the thinner ones work as well?

Not sure mine is stainless. It is the pizza, baking steel. And yes I think they do sell a thicker one than mine. A lot of the great pies you see are made with two steels. Put together they make more heat in between and also great results are had by switching from one to the other. One thing that I would have liked and I know they make it is a grease run off. This would be super helpful in searing steaks or Meats on the steel. I have put the steel on the grill and I'm going to guess it got well above 600 Degrees. And burned a pizza almost instantly the only problem was the top didn't follow. There are workarounds around this. I'm not sure buying the thicker steel is worth it as much as it is important to buy two. Maybe some others will chime in here but I'm glad I bought it nonetheless.

Have the 1/2". The main advantage is that it stores more heat. Great for baking back to back pies with similar bake times. Otherwise it costs more, weighs more.

I got to see how Icebob launches those pies piled with toppings like that. His fast twitch forearm muscles must be pretty impressive!

Mmm epic thread I'll have to come back to this.
I don't have a proper pizza oven of awesomeness like some here but I've become pretty Evangelical about the dry pan to grill (or oven)method... Don't know if it's been said here before or if such heresy is even permitted...

I spent years twatting about with ridiculous pizza stones that take a year to heat up and still got soggy middles, and then learned that if you just stick the dough into a hot dry pan and build on that before transferring to a grill you can get pizza that's better than 90 percent of what's available in the uk (I'm sure you Yanks have a better situation re pizza... I'm in Scotland and such a thing exists as the "pizza crunch" which is a pizza type thing folded in half, battered and deep fried... The poor bastard never stood a chance).
I doubt it compares for a proper deep dish type thing but it is super easy and works great.

All hail the dry pan method!

After our last ceramic broke, started using our round flat cast iron pan. Works great.

I’ve have both a fibrament stone and a 3/8” baking steel (its mild steel, not stainless).

Both work but the steel is a bit harder to use because the crust burns faster.

Have the 1/2". The main advantage is that it stores more heat. Great for baking back to back pies with similar bake times. Otherwise it costs more, weighs more.
You also use 2, no? Is the secret to those amazing crusts you share your steel and stone method or the thickness or maybe both.

Not sure mine is stainless. It is the pizza, baking steel. And yes I think they do sell a thicker one than mine. A lot of the great pies you see are made with two steels. Put together they make more heat in between and also great results are had by switching from one to the other. One thing that I would have liked and I know they make it is a grease run off. This would be super helpful in searing steaks or Meats on the steel. I have put the steel on the grill and I'm going to guess it got well above 600 Degrees. And burned a pizza almost instantly the only problem was the top didn't follow. There are workarounds around this. I'm not sure buying the thicker steel is worth it as much as it is important to buy two. Maybe some others will chime in here but I'm glad I bought it nonetheless.

After our last ceramic broke, started using our round flat cast iron pan. Works great.

I’ve have both a fibrament stone and a 3/8” baking steel (its mild steel, not stainless).

Both work but the steel is a bit harder to use because the crust burns faster.

Thanks everyone for the information. Normally need to do a couple pizzas so maybe I will go for the thicker one then add a second later if needed.

More roman thin crust, mixed results. 48 hour sourdough dough

Tasty enough though

toppings include buffalo mozz, normal mozz, 'nduja, salami, chorizo, mushrooms, caperberries and olives.

MLleWiZ.jpg

0AFhGZ1.jpg

jcQ5KeV.jpg

cEHJOQq.jpg

gWzf4wv.jpg

Gt4FqB8.jpg

GLcyUuF.jpg

Looks edible to me.

Does the deck get to 1000F or just the top?
Preheated around 40 minutes
The floor was around 900+ from temp gun readings before i made that one.
Cooled off quickly so maybe different with wood usage.
It's a 'Biscotto Saputo' tile floor, so the bottom doesn't scorch at high temps.
I have a cordierite floor on order. A lot of experimenting to do :)

You also use 2, no? Is the secret to those amazing crusts you share your steel and stone method or the thickness or maybe both.

Sorry for the slow response. I only have the one steel. I start on it and then switch to a screen immediately below it after the first 2 minutes.

Guess, i have you confused with someone. Makes sense that a thicker steel holds more heat. I have been wanting a second stone. Also I've been craving sicilian-style since that's what we used to always make. I hope that's the right term for what I'm thinking of. The dough is spread out in a pan and then cooked with a bunch of oil. I think I'm going to spread it out in the pan with a bunch of oil and then pre cook it before I top it. Actually as I think about it
Pre cooking with crust before I top it with any pizza would probably negate the need for a second Stone

Last edited:
I've had surprising good results with a method i never suspected would work well, and its easy too.

I preheat the oven to 550F as normal with the stone about 1 rack below center. I put the other oven rack on the level right below the stone.

Then i bake the piza on the lower rack using a screen. The direct heat from the bottom browns the crust from below, while the stone reflects its heat from above into the pizza.

I've been able to turn the bottom of the crust black in about 4 minutes... about equivalent to what my stone does. However i get the added effect of heat from above to help brown the crust edges.

I was supposed to make mussels for my in laws the other day and they wanted pizza so I made 5 simple pies. Didnt get a chance to take pics but they looked ok. I am not home so I tried to throw them on a hot steel baking sheet with a cutting board. The pizzas were on parchment. Found the best technique was right on the oven grates with parchment and then pull it out after 5 minutes or so. This oven had visible elements, where as my new one doesnt. Seems like if the grate was right on the bottom above those elements the glowing orange of those elements could brown things up. I liked the sargento, off the block cheese we used.

IMAG3310.jpg
IMAG3304.jpg

Had some dough in the freezer for a few weeks. Pulled it out and put it in the fridge a few days ago, and then reballed this a.m. The crust seemed unaffected. No special treatment, just oiled and placed in a freezer zip lock with the air squeezed out. I remember people asking about freezing different ingredients. Worked for me.

Made this one last night. Pics are pre and post baking. Dough is 25% Caputo 00 and 75% AP flour, Mutti Pizza Sauce, fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano, hand grated mozzarella, pepperoni (under the cheese), sauteed onions, and a jar of sliced DeLallo roasted red bell peppers. Delicious as always!

P1020984.JPG

P1020988.JPG

Big Ass Stuffed Pie.

Garlic tomato sauce, salami, pepperoni, Italian sausage, and ground beast.

Topped with a layer of extra dough, more garlic sauce, onions and diced roma tomatoes.

20180417_213640.jpg

Last edited:
Back