Undershot beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
hello there i have a problem which i hope you guys can help me out with to decide how to fix something.
i brewed a batch of coopers irish stout can kit on october 4th. what i did was make a 2 gallon pearle hop tea, then i added my fermentables such as the coopers can, 454 grams of dark dme; which is a pound and 2 pounds of a dark treacel i made on the stove a week before. Then rehydrated my nottingham yeast with correct water amount and temp.
My temp strip on my fermenter wasnt giving a temp so i thought i killed the yeast, but the next morning it dropped to 74 degrees and started fermenting very aggressively for the next four days. At which point it has stopped ferementing. I was going to leave it in the primary for a month then bottle after a hydrometer test of course.

Well i changed my mind and was going to leave it for 2 weeks then bottle for 2 weeks. I just did a hydrometer test to see where i am and the reading was at 1.018 at 70 degrees. my starting gravity was 1.040 at about 90 degrees so the correct reading would be 1.044. At those readings im sitting at a 3.2%abv number not what i am trying to get more like 5 or 6 percent.
I usually use 3 pounds of dme and 2 pounds of raw cane sugar for this coopers can kit and i usually get between 5 and 6 percent abv and never had a problem before. I still have the coopers yeast that came with the kit.
My question could i add more sugar and then pitch more yeast or just dump more sugar into the fermentor and let it sit for another week. i know i need to dry hop it because the ounce of perle i boiled is faintly in the brew or its just to early to tast the hops fully.

I just dont know what to do and have never had this problem before with my beer. Can someone help me out thanks. I am going to pittsburg monday to get more supplies if someone could respond before then i would be gratefull thx again.
Cory

Back