Cooper carb drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg2112

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer fermenting (Muntons), starting gravity was 1.04. Starting gravity is now 1.022. I had a taste, and it's still really sweet, and doesn't taste like it's even close to done. It's been a week. Am I doing something wrong?

Just kidding. Actually, I have a question about carb drops vs. sugar. Up until now I've just used table sugar. I know a lot of people recommend against it, but I feel that I've had pretty good results. The last batch I did though, I tried Coopers carb drops, just to give something else a try. The bottles have been conditioning for a week, so I cracked one open (I know it's early, but I've got plenty, I like to track the progress). It was nearly completely flat. Typically I find that after a week, I've got a reasonable amount of carbonation.
Is just a difference between the products (this is also a different beer - could that make that big a difference). Everything else in my conditioning (bottles, temperature, etc) has always been the same.

Give it another week and then pop one open - one week is way too early to be making comparisons. Anyways, it will take a while for the tabs to dissolve and for the yeast to go to work on them, so I imagine you would have a slightly longer lead time than you would for sugar that you dissolve into a syrup and then mix into the beer.

Frankly, I would go back to just using table sugar on your next batch. I don't know a lot of people that recommend against it - not sure where you're hearing that. In fact, that's probably what the vast majority of homebrewers that bottle use because it's cheap, easily accessible, and it works.

I use coopers carb drops, 1 per 500ml. I cracked one after a week, just to check, it was more or less flat but after 2 wks both the carb. and the beer were really nice (it past the brother in-law test) I'm leaving the rest for one more week at least just to get my own idea how the process improves. Hope that's of some help:)
Also turn the bottle over and back then put away to finish carbing

Back