yeast got pretty warm in transit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
I got some liquid lager yeast from midwest supplies and, although I ordered the ice pack, it's so hot and humid and here in the midwest that the ice was melted and the yeast was warm. My question is how important is it to keep the liquid yeast cool? Should I even try to pitch it? I don't have a good mechanism got getting more of the type I want other than ordering it from midwest (who I use for most of my supplies).

nb

If you're brewing within the next few days, get a starter going. It will either let you know if it's all dead (which is doubtful), or build up the numbers to a good pitching volume.

Just read that it's a lager yeast, you need a starter anyway, so go for it!

I had a very recent similar experience from ahs. The icepacks were warm, the yeast was above room temp. I put in the fridge for a week, and last week and this weekend I pitched hoping for the best - both took off just fine. Yeast is more susceptible to quick changes in temp than warm temps in general. I think you'll probably be okay. Of course you can always do a starter to see if it's still alive. I always keep some different types of dry yeast on hand as backup, it may not be the yeast I want, but at least it's something.

dale

Thanks for the replies. I think it'll be fine. I need to do a starter anyway so I'll just do that once it's brewtime. If it's dead I'll do a starter of a dry lager yeast.

nb

I also just bought ingredient kits from AHS that came to NYC during the heat wave. I haven't picked a brew time yet, but I guess I'd better make a starter to be safe. I also bought their 'back up' Safale as they recommend. For $1.29 it isn't worth taking the chance on the kit of not having yeast.

Latest posts

Back