Bottle temps with Brett b.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just bottled a 100% Brett beer (with wlp644 - Brett b. Trois). The bottles are in the cupboard above my fridge in the kitchen, which is where I keep all my bottles while they're carbonating. However, it is currently 85 degrees in my house and it looks like the heat is going to stay for a while. I could move them to my cellar which is in the low-mid 70s now.

Any concerns with leaving the beer at 85 while it's carbing?

The only bottle of beer I've ever had explode was a brett beer in my garage beer room, which is about 80-85F. The reason that particular bottle exloded was that I used a cheap, thin American made bottle. The rest of that batch was bottled in either champagne, Orval, or German 500ml bottles I had saved. So my advice is to put it in the cellar if you're using standard American bottles since they are made to throw away and really won't hold the pressure you're about to create.

If the house is 85 and they are above the fridge they are probably warmer due to heat coming off the fridge. That's probably too warm for beer in general, even if brett won't be affected by it.

corkybstewart said:
The only bottle of beer I've ever had explode was a brett beer in my garage beer room, which is about 80-85F. The reason that particular bottle exloded was that I used a cheap, thin American made bottle. The rest of that batch was bottled in either champagne, Orval, or German 500ml bottles I had saved. So my advice is to put it in the cellar if you're using standard American bottles since they are made to throw away and really won't hold the pressure you're about to create.

This is a 100% Brett fermented beer he is talking about so it should act similar to a sacch fermented beer. I've had 2 100% Brett beers in standard 12 oz bottles for 10 months without issues. So I wouldn't worry about bombs anymore than you would with a standard "clean" beer since it shouldn't be a big attenuator.

That being said, I would move the beers to a room closer to 70f. I don't see any advantage in conditioning so warm.

That being said, I would move the beers to a room closer to 70f. I don't see any advantage in conditioning so warm.

Slightly faster carbing/conditioning time in my experience and I haven't noticed any off flavors in bottles that I've done this with. Nothing wrong with 70 though!

Well, I ended up leaving the bottles in the 85 degree cupboard while away on a 2-week family vacation. No bottle bombs and it has carbed up quite nicely. Tastes damn good too! :)

Back