2nd Batch, Hop Pellets, all that trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowens

Reaction score
Howdy, just put my 2nd batch into the fermenter :rockin: and pitched the yeast. :ban: I did a lousy job getting the trub out, I mean lousy. :eek: For some reason I figured my colander would strain out some of the trub. I was wrong. Whirlpooling didn't get much either. I racked out of the brew kettle hoping to leave some behind, and that was all I left... some. I took a sample for the hydrometer, and let it sit while I was cleaning, and there was like a 1/2" of hop pellet dust at the bottom.

What now? How do I deal with the trub? The recipie was the midwest amarillo pale-ale.

It will be fine RDWHAHB.

Whirlpooling will get most of the trub out but not all. There is always further settling of trub in the primary after it sits for awhile and before fermentation kicks it all up again.

Try using a grain bag for your bittering hops. I do this all the time and have had good success. You should increase your boiling time 10% if you do this though to achieve the same amount of hopy goodness.

Latest posts

Back