Cider froth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cidereck

Reaction score
Hello cider fans, been reading for a while and have made a number of successful ciders, favourite of which had a couple of handfuls of jasmine with green picked off.

Put a brew down last night, added icing sugar (+/- 500g) as i was out of brown and white (usually do mix of the two to get the best colour).

This evening i come home from work, take a quick ride around the block to clear my cobwebs and come back to check on how it's doing;
sticky brown froth has come right out the airlock and has dried enough to lodge it in place, not even popping away anymore.
gave it a clean and away she goes fermenting away again.

Any ideas as to what this might mean to the completed brew?

i'm assuming it was due to the icing sugar, but any confirmation or ideas would be appreciated.

I don't believe it will hurt your batch but you may have some issues with clearing. Icing Sugar or Powdered sugar is ground very fine and then mixed with a powdered starch or calcium phosphate. I am sure this would have a large amount of foaming and I wonder how much difference there is in sugar content per weight/volume. If your OG was in the proper range you should be good.

Thanks, suspected as much...
started out in my normal cider range, will continue to clear dried stickiness then try finings before i bottle...
will add a reply when it's been taste approved!

Latest posts

Back