Poppet problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downs

Reaction score
OK I've searched around and have some ideas to try to fix these things but I think it might be something I'm doing ....

So first keg started leaking, noticed it when I lost a tank of gas, was leaking when the quick connect was on, but not when it was off. Finished that keg of beer by charging and disconnecting.

Got 2 new poppets at the local brew shop and went to replace.

When I took the poppet off I noticed a straw type thing with an o ring under the poppet of this keg, none of my others have this. Replaced the poppet with a brand new one, now when I go to put it under pressure it doesnt close all the way. Its leaking.

took another one apart to make sure I was doing the right thing, this was a find working poppet.

Double checked that everything was as I had done wit the first and put it back on.

Now that poppet is leaking, after putting the quick connect on, I can easily tell it isnt closing all the way. Co2 is streaming right out of the poppet hole.

Both of these kegs are acting the same way, the posts are as tight as they can go..

I saw in a post here someone had 2 orings under the poppets do you think I should try that?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

would keg lube do anything though?
its the poppet specifically that isnt working
its like its not shutting all the way
i would think if it something more to do with the orings maybe keg lube
not that i wouldnt try it
local brew shop doesnt have keg lube

So first keg started leaking, noticed it when I lost a tank of gas, was leaking when the quick connect was on, but not when it was off. Finished that keg of beer by charging and disconnecting.
thanks
I have one question. If the keg is leaking when connected to the disconnect and holds steady when it is off. I am thinking that it would rule out the poppet. Get some keg lube, it will only help by making a better connection all around.

Back