hops aren't growing very fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I planted my first year rhizomes in pots around easter time. They started growing about a week or 2 later. On memorial day I transplanted them into the ground with compost and put some mulch on them. The leaves started to turn yellow and I added some ironite( advice I got here). They have turned green again but are not very big. I have 2 cascades that have a bunch of shoots but only 2 or 3 have started to climb up the rope. My columbus has one that just started to climb and another 6 or 7 shoots. My centennial which was the first one to grow when they were in pots only has 3 shoots and have almost stopped growing. Even my biggest cascade is only about 2 feet tall. Is this normal for first year growth? I am in upstate NY close to the canadien border, zone 4 but almost 3 if that makes any difference.

Glad to hear that. I was getting worried looking at everyone's pictures of their first year hops.

Back