Parti-Gyle Extract Brewing...Kind of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigolbigbelly

Reaction score
St. Louisan by choice, Missourian by geography.
So, I find myself having less time for brewing lately and have been brewing more extract batches then all grain. I was brewing an all grain batch today and had the idea of running another six gallons of 175 degree water through the grains that I just sparged then adding light LME to it. Making an extract batch with a lighter flavor from the previous all grain batch.

The grains would give the flavor and the LME would up the gravity to a non- session level. Besides saving time, it would also be cheaper then an extract batch with new stepping grains. Has anyone tried this? If you did, how did it turn out?

I have not, but designing great beers has a section devoted to how to calculate the gravity of the second run offs and figure out how much lme/dme to add. I am not sure if beersmith supports this type of thing so it might be a good idea to check that book out. My understand is that is was common practice in England, many years ago, to make two beers from one mash. A stronger one first and a weaker second.

Back