Hel(I)P(A) me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawkraut

Reaction score
Ok I need some help on this ipa. I tried brewing this again last yesterday and all signs point toward good things. However I tuned into some grain bill details today that confused me. Grains listed as this:
Crystal
Pale
Munich
Caramel

Then I read this description today, of the same grains listed above:
"...from select crystal and carastan malts."

So I realized today that my interpretation of the grain bill is probably not correct. Here's what I did:
Pale 83%
Munich 8%
Crystal 20 4.5%
Carapils 3%
White wheat 1.5%

I swear the description above never said a word about carastan.

But what I can't get is a straight answer about what carastan is all about, you know, it's profile, other than its a British crystal malt.

So how would you interpret the above ? And what is carastan, is it crystal, is it caramel? And how is it different from carapils? Hellllp it's driving me insaner.

Carastan is a light English crystal malt that has a toastier, more pronounced toffee flavor than American equivalents like Crystal 20L, 40L, etc. Your addition of Crystal 20L (and maybe the Munich to a degree) pretty much meets the requirements of the original recipe. There's some good info about CaraStan here and this one here includes making a mix of American Crystal malts as a substitute. Also, this chart includes substitutions based on manufacturers.

Here is a description of CaraStan from Bairds:

Bairds Carastan (30-40°L)
Bairds Carastan malt is made through a process of stewing germinated malt followed by an extensive period of high-degree roasting for varying periods of time. The result is a pale, brown-colored malt with a caramel/toffee-like flavor.

Thank you fellers. Very enlightened right now. I had seen a chart and various threads but not the one's provided here. Concise info, much appreciated.

Back