Yeast starter....is it ready????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I started my roughly 1/2 quart starter yesterday afternoon and it perking right along. It has a nice krausen built up. Is it ready to go if I brew tonight (7-21) or tomorrow? When I use it do I pour the whole thing in trub and all? This is a fairly high gravity beer so I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks,
Alan W

I think you will be fine either way. Most people say the best time to pitch is a "high krausen" but a little after is practically as good. BTW, that probably isn't much trub, that is your yeast! Unless the starter is done, you can chill it to let the yeast fall out of suspension, and dump the spent wort, dump the whole thing.

Beerrific said:
I think you will be fine either way. Most people say the best time to pitch is a "high krausen" but a little after is practically as good. BTW, that probably isn't much trub, that is your yeast! Unless the starter is done, you can chill it to let the yeast fall out of suspension, and dump the spent wort, dump the whole thing.

Thanks for the info. Should I shake it up before pitching? Sorry for the dumb questions. I've never used a starter before.

Thanks again,
Alan W

I wouldn't shake it exactly, but I would swirl it. Just want to maker sure you get all the yeast up off the bottom so they don't stick when you dump it in.

yeah, just swirl it to get the yeast back into suspension, then pitch

Back