Kindof IIPA and slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryston

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a batch of an IIPA done from partial mash in my secondary.

My OG was at 1.078. I pitch a pack (11gr) of Nottingham and 8 days later, after I noticed a significant drop in the fermentation activity, I transferred to my secondary for dry hopping. The gravity was 1.036.

9 days later, still in the secondary. The airlock is still letting out some bubbles of CO2. Took a gravity measurement: 1.033.

10 days later, again, still in the secondary. The airlock is still letting out some bubbles of CO2. Took a gravity measurement: 1.031.

This is were I'm at. Is my fermentation stuck ? If not, will this fermentation have a chance of reaching a final gravity of 1.018 (for example), before Christmas ? :eek: I am starting to be a bit worried as the beer is basically fermenting for more than a month now and I am still far from the expected FG...

Should I repitch with some Nottingham ? If yes, how much ? Should I go more drastic with Champagne yeast ? Any other suggestion ?

Thanks!

Thanks for your input!

When you say
bryston said:
after I noticed a significant drop in the fermentation... activity

What do you mean by that? Do you mean physical signs or your final gravity slowing down. It may have still been fermenting and you racked to early. I would probably pitch another packet of Nottingham but I'm unsure as to the amount.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean physical signs or your final gravity slowing down. It may have still been fermenting and you racked to early. I would probably pitch another packet of Nottingham but I'm unsure as to the amount.

Well, I should be ashamed, put it on my lack of experience: I checked only physical signs. Now from my readings I know this is not a good indicator.
I am still a newby and let's say that this batch is a truckload of experience coming in for me. :)

So, there is a good chance that it was still fermenting and I racked too early.

Ok, I think also I should pitch some more yeast. From other threads in the forum, I think that I should have anyways pitch in more, probably a packet and a half and then, let the yeast do their job longer in the primary.

I think that's a good idea:) and don't worry in the end I'm confident you will still have a good beer it's not like you started to rack into a fermentor that still had sanitizer in it. (been there. done that. got the t-shirt)

You could pitch more yeast, or throw in a little amylase and let it do it's think. I think about 1/2 tsp would do the trick nicely. You underpitched slightly, should have used two packs.

You could pitch more yeast, or throw in a little amylase and let it do it's think. I think about 1/2 tsp would do the trick nicely. You underpitched slightly, should have used two packs.

Amalyse is a bad idea. The issue is not unfermentable sugars (which the amalyse enzyme will break down), but with transfering the wort off the yeast cake too early. Adding amalyse has its place, but would likely thin this beer out too much.

Instead, you need more healthy yeast, plain and simple. I'd build a nice big starter with 1056 or a pack of US-05 and pitch it at high krausen... this should help take your gravity down.

I pitch in a new pack of Nottingham yesterday evening. This morning, I could already see some more CO2 coming out of the airlock.

Thank you everyone!:)

Ok, after quite some time, the new patck of Notty did its thing, but not that much.... :(

I am still at around 1.025. Nothing is really happening anymore and I would like to get under 1.020. Ideally around 1.015-1.018 which is the recipe's FG.

Is it the time to throw in a little amylase ? I never used the stuff. How should I do it ?

Thanks

Ok, after quite some time, the new patck of Notty did its thing, but not that much.... :(

I am still at around 1.025. Nothing is really happening anymore and I would like to get under 1.020. Ideally around 1.015-1.018 which is the recipe's FG.

Is it the time to throw in a little amylase ? I never used the stuff. How should I do it ?

Thanks

Do not use amylase, at least yet. Can you give us the recipe? This could help a lot.

I would warm it up a few degrees and see what happens.

It's an attempt at Papazian Palilalia...

2.2 lb of Cristal malt of which 1/2lb was roasted in the oven for 10 minutes at 350F.
5.5 lb of light DME
2oz of Northern brewer + 1oz of Cascade.
1.5 tea spoon of gypsum

I've put the grains with 1.5g of cold water which was brought to 150F in roughly 40 minutes. Then I removed the grains add the DME, the northen brewer and the gypsum and boil for 60 minutes. Cascade was added in the last 5 minutes. I then "sparge" with 2g of cold water, and finally I topped with water to make 5g.

My OG was at 1.078. Wayyy more than the expected 1.052-1.056. I put that on the fact that I probably did not mixed properly the additional water.

I am rather newby, so I may have done some things wrong ??!

With that recipe, your OG was around 1.060.

2.2 lbs of crystal is a lot for 5 gallon but the FG should still come down more.

What temp do you have it at now?

It is sitting in my basement for a while, ambient temp is around 73F. Had some peaks at 79 during an heat wave though.

I am starting to be a bit desesperate with it. I made that batch on July 3rd! :(

First off, your culprit is a combination of too much crystal malt and transferring off the yeast too early. If you wish to dry hop with fermentation still active you should wait until it is 2-4 gravity points away from terminal gravity.

That is a pretty hot ferment temp as well but that is a flavor issue.

At this point you could probably add some champagne yeast if you want to dry it out more but taste it and see what you think.

Also, you said that the anticipated OG was 1.056, but that it was supposed to finish at 1.018? That doesn't sound right to me.

Yeah, I am not sure about the amylase anymore. So I probably won't add any. Also, after pitching another pack of Nottingham yeast to try to restart the fermentation, I don't think I will add even more yeast.

I will probably dry hop it again with some cascade, and then, bottle it. I tasted it from my gravity sample and it does not taste bad. It will be a bit sweet, but I think I will let it go and see how it turns.

As for the original recipe, the estimated OG was 1.052-1.056 and FG 1.014-1.018. Is it a too wide range ? I don't know. :confused: This is from Papazian book.

Thanks everyone for your help, I learned so much with this batch. Believe me, I just look towards my next batch... :mug:

Back