Sanitation Mystery - Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGravity

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone could enlighten me why dry hopping is possible without getting bacteria and a spoiled brew. I've had one more sour brew recently and it got me thinking about using more diversol to clean the stained primaries, but here I am doing a dry hop when racking to secondary.

Is it mostly coincidence or careful treatment by hop growers that allows hops to be used as is? I am becoming more open minded now that I have tried TRIPLE-SMOKED BACON ale, and I wonder why hops are the only thing that is added that is exposed to rain, wind, dirt, pollution, 6 months out in a dry field. I always close the windows and doors when I am brewing, and wonder if I am freaking out too much...

By the way, bacon ale doesn't clearly taste like bacon exactly, but it was delicious. 5 lbs bacon rendered down to 1lb, then somehow added to primary. A recipe crafted by a much more experienced brewer than myself.

If you add it after most of the fermentation is done you should be fine. Most bacteria don't like hops and the alcohol helps to keep any infections down as well.

The air outside has fewer beer spoiling bacteria than the air in your kitchen, if that is where you are brewing.

"India Pale Ale", so the story goes, was originally highly hopped to help the beer survive transport and higher temperatures when shipping from Great Britain to India.

High alcohol and heavy hopping are both good to help keep the nasties from growing.....

Back