IPA Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phyrst

Reaction score
I was at the LHBS yesterday with the intent of buying the ingredients to make a milk stout. Then I saw they had amarillo and simcoe hops in stock! So I called an audible on the line and decided to make an IPA instead. I hadn't picked out a recipe or anything, so I kind of winged it on the fly. The LHBS had a limit of one package of simcoe and one package of amarillo per customer. So tell me what you guys think.

OG = 1.066
FG = 1.016
ABV = 6.55%
IBU = 59
SRM = 7.5
Batch size = 5 gal
Yeast = Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

Ingredients
11 lbs Pale 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 25L
1 lb corn sugar added at flameout
1 oz Cascade (60)
1 oz Chinook (15)
1 oz Cascade (5)
1 oz Citra (0)
1 oz Cascade (0)
1 oz Amarillo (0)
1 oz Simcoe (dry hop 7 days)
1 oz Amarillo (dry hop 7 days)
1 oz Citra (dry hop 7 days)

Light infusion mash at 152 F, batch sparge

I interested in input particularly for the hop schedule. I would like it to have a strong citrus flavor and aroma to it. Given my limited amount of amarillo and simco hops I want to make sure I'm using them the best I can. Should I leave them for flameout and dry hopping, or should I bump them up to the flavoring?

I think you have a good plan going if you could only get one of each. If it were my recipe I might move the Chinook to 60 min and the Cascade to 15 (but it will work fine just like you have it). The dry hops you have will definitely give it citrus but it may be a "sweet citrus." I recently made a low ABV IPA and used 1oz of Simcoe at day 8 in the primary (which I left for a week), then racked to the secondary and added 1oz of Simcoe and 1oz of Galaxy (very similar to Citra). I was hoping for intense pine & citrus, but rather I got sort of a "bowl of fruity pebbles cereal with a splash of tangerine juice mixed in" aroma (which is not a bad nose, just not really what I was aiming for). If I had my recipe to do over again I would have added some Columbus to the dry hops for a little bit of pungent complexity.

Bottom line: to answer your question, your best bet would be as a dry hop.

Latest posts

Back