45% Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Reaction score
I brewed up a wit today, and it seems that my efficiency was straight up terrible - projected OG was 1.050 and I ended up with 1.032, which worked out to a 45% efficiency. Normally I'm getting around 75-80% with my system, so I'm puzzled. Recipe/mash details below, any help would be great!

Grains:
5# Belgian Pilsner
5# Unmalted wheat (this crush may not have been great; ordered online and am not sure what a good unmalted wheat crush looks like. I could still see full kernels).

Mash:
15 minutes at 122
45 minutes at 150-151

Stirred well and followed same general procedures as all other batches (double batch sparge at around 168 in grain bed, stir, let sit for 10 minutes, drain).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

If you could see whole kernels the crush was probably the issue. The wheat kernels are smaller than barley so I usually adjust the gap on the mill to crush wheat. if that's not possible I would run the wheat through the mill twice . But also with that much unmalted wheat a 90 min mash would have probably helped too.

Thanks - I'm inclined to agree that the crush may be a key culprit here. Looks like I may have to add a grain mill to the ever-expanding list of stuff to get for this hobby... :mug:

Back