Hello From Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

videoman

Reaction score
Newbie board member and Home Brewer. Been going at it for about a year and a half.... worked my way from kits to All Grain in about a year.

I'm getting to the point where I feel I can produce good beer consistantly with the igloo cooler system I purchased, but still have plenty of things to learn as I continue to improve my methods.

Look forward to picking your brains.... feel free to pick mine, but don't take too much... I don't have much to give. :)

Mark H....
"Videoman"

Ayah, good to see some fellow Mainer's. I'm from Pittston - right next to Gardiner (otherwise known as Gahdnah to the out-of-staters).

Boston, hope your mother is hunkered down tonight... we're getting hammered with snow... third time in a week....

As far as favorites to brew... been nursing an IPA and Irish Red receipe that I really enjoy... have a decent amber, wheat and Oatmeal Stout I'll make in season. Haven't strayed too far from the path, but I hope to incorporate some experimentation this year.

A local brewery, Gritty's, put out a 'PumpkinHead' this year that was wicked decent... I would love to take a crack at... may just feel cocky enough to try it this year. Would also like to develop a good Oktoberfest.

videoman said:
Ayah, good to see some fellow Mainer's. I'm from Pittston - right next to Gardiner (otherwise known as Gahdnah to the out-of-staters).

Boston, hope your mother is hunkered down tonight... we're getting hammered with snow... third time in a week....

As far as favorites to brew... been nursing an IPA and Irish Red receipe that I really enjoy... have a decent amber, wheat and Oatmeal Stout I'll make in season. Haven't strayed too far from the path, but I hope to incorporate some experimentation this year.

A local brewery, Gritty's, put out a 'PumpkinHead' this year that was wicked decent... I would love to take a crack at... may just feel cocky enough to try it this year. Would also like to develop a good Oktoberfest.

Welcome! I recently moved to Maine and living in the portland area...doing some equipment revamping/dust blowing in preparation to brew...hopefully later in the month.

Southern Maine has a number of good small breweries. Gritty's does a good job and I think Stone Coast's 420IPA is pretty good. BTW, Pumpkinhead is a Shipyard beer, not Gritty's....although Gritty's has a pretty good Halloween beer that doesn't have pumpkin in it. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin beers so that is what I go for. But Shipyard's pumpkinhead is not a bad style if you are into that!

Welcome again.

Thanks for the correction on the 'Pumpkinhead' fubar. Both companies, Shipyard and Gritty's, put out some fantastic beer... sometimes get them confused.

Actually partaking of a Gritty's Scottish Ale as I type... very, very good... just continuing my brew-education.

Good luck in renewing your brewing! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Welcome. I like to see more Maine people here. That Scottish Ale is damn good too. Have you tried the shipyard prelude yet? Mighty tasty. I have a Pumpkin ale recipe that I think is my best one to date, if you want it. It’s an extract though.

I'm in-between batches right now and was eyeballing the Scottish Ale and the Prelude... went with the Scottish (cause I'd like to develop my own version)... I'll definately give the Prelude a test next.

I would love to see what you did with your Pumpkin ale recipe... I can convert it to AG.... won't be doing it right off, but will put it on my summer calendar. Thanks....!

Welcome to the board! I was in Maine last summer and stopped at Grittys in Freeport (if I remember right) to sample some of the brews, pretty good I thought. Quite a ways from Iowa to Maine, have been there several times and really enjoy the area.

I like the offerings from Gritty's... Shipyard and Sea Dog are Maine breweries that are very good. We have a fair amount of brewpubs in the area too next time you are in the pine tree state.

Got close to a foot today... sure has been no problem getting snow this winter!!

Back