Rookie brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbzm

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i joined this forum to pick everyone's brain about all aspects of making hard ciders and wines. I am a rookie at all of this, especially using different chemicals for optimum results. I am not completely new to this as I have been helping grandpa and my dad make wine here and there for years. But of course they were both old school in their ways which lead to little consistency.

About two weeks ago when at the local orchard I noticed they have fresh all natural cider so I decided this would be a great place to start my adventure I tried a couple things I made 5 gallons starting by simmering the cider to kill wild yeast then stirring in 3lbs of brown sugar a half about a quart jar of homemade honey and even sprinkled in a little cinnamon. Then I heated up and let sit a package of yeast the said good for ciders! After 2 weeks the cider has taken on a beautiful golden color with the airlock going wild (it has slowed some in the last few days) I'm extremely excited. I also did a small batch 1 gal of the same but read to throw in some orange peels, so I did.

I guess what I'm asking for is any kind of advice that all of you might have as I go on with this. I want to get a nice clear crisp look and don't really understand the best chemicals and ways to achieve this.. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to educating myself through this

Thanks

Patience. If it doesn't taste good the first time you try it, let it sit for at least another month. I tasted my last batch after 3 weeks, and boy was it tart. Waited another month, and it's heavenly.

Back