Pliny Clone - Stuck Fermentation and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglephan5

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently bought the Pliny clone kit from Austin HomeBrew.
I live in PA and we had a week of 95+ temp and of course it was very hot in Texas. My concern was that the yeast (California Ale 001) got too hot in shipment and it would be killed. They assured me it would be fine. It called for double pitching so the yeast came with a cold pack (gel pack) which was warm when it got to me.
So I brew the beer and sure enough I have a stuck fermentation. It is now almost 48 hours since I brewed. After nothing after 24hrs, I opened the fermentor and stirred. This afternoon will be 48hrs and the instructions say to call them.

So do you think the heat killed the yeast? If so, how will this affect the taste of this beer, assuming I will have to make a starter to get it going.
If I need to create a starter, do I need to match the malt extract of my brew??
This was an expensive kit with a ton of hops and I don't want it ruined. I'm sure they will it was not the heat that killed it and maybe it wasn't. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I would give it a little time, leave it alone and see if if starts up. I've had beer that didn't start right away, they took a few days to kick in, usually because i didn't pitch enough yeast. After a week of inactivity, then I'd start to worry. You used two tubes of WLP001 right? What is the fermentation temp? Your brew is in the air conditioning right?

I have brewed this same kit actually. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/made-pliny-clone-austin-yesterday-146633/ If I remember correctly the OG should have come out around 1.070...?

To answer the starter question, I usually try to match the extract in the starter to my flavor profile or use something that will impact the flavor the least like extra light DME. Also right before you pitch the starter you can put it in the fridge for a few hours, let the yeast settle out, then dump off the liquid and only pitch the yeast slurry. That'll help avoid other flavors from the starter.

give it some more time.
is there anything like little bubbles forming on the top of the wort yet?

if you need to make a starter it's easiest to boil 200grams DME for 2000ml of water...i always boil a litttle extra to account for evaporation...

give it some more time.
is there anything like little bubbles forming on the top of the wort yet?

if you need to make a starter it's easiest to boil 200grams DME for 2000ml of water...i always boil a litttle extra to account for evaporation...

Ya, I always get about 400ml evap when I start with 2000ml during a 15 min boil so I end up with a 1600ml starter. I need to increase by 400ml I guess. I do like the rule though, it's easy to remember, 200g for 2000ml. I wish I could "think" metric like I do english measurements :cross:

Th gravity should have been 1.070 but mine was 1.058 for some reason.
Yes, it is AC and the temp says it's at 73 degrees.

I don't do the double pitch option. I make a starter with 3/4 cup of whatever malt is in the brew with 1-2 quarts of water (finish with 2 qts). Boil 15 minutes, aereate by shaking and pitch when cool. I use a sanitized plastic juice pitcher (with a top). Aerate more by shaking every time you think of it. I do that the night before and it is ready to pitch the next afternoon (18-24 hours). If there were no action the next afternoon, I would assume the yeast is no good and not brew until I either got more yeast or it came to life.

With shipping taking about 3 days in the heat of summer, I think the shippers need to come up with a better way of cooling the yeast. One little ice pack in an uninsulated plastic bag is not going to last long. I'd like to see an insulated pouch I could buy and mail back to them for my next order. That said, my Dilerium Tremins ordered from AHS in the midst of the heat wave last week arrived with the yeast alive and happy - if a bit warm. It is still bubbling away after 5 days.... Can't wait.

Thanks everyone. I bought more yeast and double pitched and the airlock was going crazy within 2 hours.

Latest posts

Back