New Brewer! A few noob questions on filtering and temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigi

Reaction score
Hi guys! Been lurking around the forums for a few days. I bought a homebrewing quest on Sunday at an outdoor flea market (they have a website at http://brooklynbrewshop.com/) and I just did my brew and setting up my fermentation yesterday night. It started bubbling through the blow-tube in the sanitizer this morning so I think I did everything right, but I have a few questions for next time maybe.

1) When I was filtering the wort into the fermenter I had initially read that you can use a coffee filter (to strain out the hops/stray mash). This was going really slow though, and I eventually stopped and used a coarser strainer. I was wondering what kind of device people normally use for this.

2) So the kit I have is to make 1 gallon of beer, and when I started boiling the brew I had 1.2 gallons in there, but when I finally filtered the wort and put it in the fermenter, it was only maybe 70% full. Was I boiling the wort too hot and evaporating more than I thought?

Anyway, I was totally convinced I had done everything wrong, but this morning there were bubbles, so I think it's all good right? I guess I'll see in 4-5 weeks!

Umm, I'm sure I have a billion more questions but I can't think of anything right now. This forum is awesome though, I look forward to finding out new ideas when I get to my next batch!

Congrats on the first brew & welcome!

1) you may want to look into hop bags, they eliminate the filter step at transfer
2) sounds about right, you'll lose to evaporation (probably more so since a 1 gallon boil will have more surface area to volume) and you'll lose to hop absorbtion

Cheers!

I looked at the link, and that looks like an interesting kit setup they offer for a tiny brewing operation at 1 gal. With space as a premium, not a bad idea I guess. You could also upgrade to a 3 or 5 gal system down the road.
If you ever step to the typical 5 gal system, you will find the cost per batch isn't much different than what you are paying now. :mug:

Yeah I mean, they cater to New York apartment dwellers like myself, and it was actually pretty simple to do. It makes about 12 bottles at a time, so it's just for hobbyists who want to mess around. If it goes great, maybe I'll upgrade down the line.

Back