New from the MD/DC area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderbarrel

Reaction score
As my alias implies, I'm all about Hard Cider. My granddad started making his own hard cider before prohibition in the mountains of WV and he became infamous for it during prohibition.

As the story goes (and the whole small town knows it. They have one stop light in the city, it's THAT small) he would take his barrels of cider with him into town and drink it in front of people and not share a drop. He'd walk around with his barrel of cider and was christened Ciderbarrel. My dad became known as Cider's son and he and his brothers would be known as Ciderbarrel after dad died. They'd all be in and out of town at various times as they each were in a different war from WWII to just before Vietnam.

My dad used to make cider, grape juice and wine from our small amount of grape vines in our yard (I think we would have about 30 gallons of juice a summer), and he tried to make elderberry wine once but it exploded.

After my dad passed, I waited to see if my older brother wanted to use the name online, he declined, so I've used Ciderbarrel online for the last 5 years or so.

I've never liked beer because of the bitterness. I just can't get past it. I have learned alot here just lurking and reading about beer and the beer making process and that there are very "less bitter" hops out there and I might be able to make a sweet or sweetish beer I might actually enjoy.

Back