white labs British ale (005) for high gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
I've been using 005 in my stouts and have been really happy with it while using a 2L starter. I've made up to 8.4% ABV with good results. My question is, how will thus strain fare in a RIS projected at 10-12%?

005 will probably handle 10%, but I think that's probably near the upper end of it's normal range. Check out WLP007 Dry English Ale if you are looking for higher alcohol tolerance. The White Labs website shows it has 70-80% attenuation and will reduce the residual sweetness.

Terje

005 will probably handle 10%, but I think that's probably near the upper end of it's normal range. Check out WLP007 Dry English Ale if you are looking for higher alcohol tolerance. The White Labs website shows it has 70-80% attenuation and will reduce the residual sweetness.

Terje

I typically make the 2L starter 24-36hrs prior and pitch during high activity. I was thinking for this one that I would start the starter a ~1wk out, cold crash after fermentation, the step it up with another 1-2L of "wort" 24-36hrs prior to pitching. The thought is I can still pitch at high activity, but will have 2x healthy cells. Do you think I'm using the wrong strain and the number of cells doesn't matter because they will all die once the beer gets to ~10%? Thanks for the help!

Is there a list out there of White Labs yeast strains and what their ABV tolerance is? White Labs states "medium" and "high", but doesn't elaborate in more detail what "medium" is. I'm looking for strains for an RIS and IIPA, used White Labs 001 for my current IIPA (considered "high" ABV tolerance) that is at 8.8%, but next time I would like to get it into the double digits. Wyeast lists %'s, but I've had really good luck with White Labs and would prefer to stick with them.

Back