High gravity techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
I'm sorry this must have been asked a million times, but it very difficult to do a search with the word 'gravity' in it :)

Anyway I would like to brew a high gravity stout (~10%), and I have found a few pointers as how to do it, but not a really good summary.

What I have got so far is:

1) Lots of yeast
2) Lots of aeration
3) Long rest (avoid taste of alcohol)
4) Low fermentation temperature
5) Fast fermentation (avoid certain types alcohols)
4) ... Please help ...

Cheers,

I've made a few beers at around 9% by:

Using lots of fermentables in the recipe (obviously).
Aerating for a few minutes with oxygen and an aeration stone.
Making a big starter (for liquid yeasts)
Using an alcohol-tolerant yeast like Nottingham (I don't make a starter with dry, but prefer dry to liquid yeasts.)
Ferment at a consistent temp appropriate for recipe. (I use a chest freezer with a Love controller and it's done wonders for my beers' fermentation.)

Hope that helps. I'm certainly no expert. :)

To increase efficiency on my last stout (12%) I used a 1qt/lb grain ratio and sparged with a little extra water and did a 90 min boil.

Also, I pitched two packets of dry yeast and it took 3 weeks to get down to the target FG.

I also used some yeast nutrient.

In some cases, it can be helpful to leave some of the sugars out of the initial fermentation and add them back in later on. I've heard that this can help, especially when simple sugars are in the recipe. I don't know if it applies to your stout though.

Back