Recipe Advice PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
What do you think of this recipe for a Pale Ale? Any ideas or advice would be great...

10 lbs 2-row American
.50 lbs Crystal 45L
.25 Munich

Northern Brewer 1.00 oz AA 8.0% 60 min
Cascade .25 oz AA 5.1% 20 min
Cascade .25 oz AA 5.1% 10 min

Yeast WLP001

Mash 154F for 60 Min
90 Min Boil
Mash Ratio 1.3

IBU'S 31
SRM 8

I would use a whole ounce of cascade.... maybe split between 30, 20 & 10 minutes left. It will give you something to do while watching the timer.

I'd also up the flavoring and aroma hops a bit, and leave the last addition till flame out (which I suspect you meant), but then I like hops.
I like the grain bill. Change the American 2 row for English, and it would be perfect for an English PA. Should give a slightly darker and more malty brew than most of the American PA's that I have sampled.

-a.

IBU's for hops only show bitterness not hop flavor. With only 1/2 ounce of cascades at 20 minutes you will get a faint cascade flavor. I would use an additional ounce at 5 minutes for cascade flavor.

Out of curiosity, did you end up finding a malt/hops supplier in Kingston or did you need to order from Ottawa or T.O.? Also, your recipe looks great!

Howdy,

Well I ended up finding an online supplier (Skinny's) located in Ottawa. I dropped him an email and made arrangements to pick it up to save on cost. It was about an hour and a half each way to drive but well worth it. Plus he was a super friendly guy which is always nice....I'll be doing the drive a few times a year for sure.

As for Kingston good luck getting any grain. I dropped by every homebrew shop and not one would place an order for me. I just don't think they have the market for it here.

Cheers
LS_Grimmy

oh ya I'll add some more hops for sure and try it out. Thanks for the tips guys!

Back