Chokecherry wine bottling day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bottling 18 gallons of chokecherry wine tomorrow. I have 90 cleaned bottles, the corks ready, and the wine up on the island to rack in the morning. Here's a picture:

DSCF3079.JPG

It's one of favorite wines, and since it's time to pick chokecherries for the 2010 batch, I thought it was time to bottle the 2009 batch.

Yoop, I am thinking about experimenting with mixing some chokecherries that we are picking this weekend with other fruits in test batches. Any suggestions?

Never had chokecherry wine...but Yoop like the way your kitchen is laid out...I bought a siphone hose with a value that will cut off when bottle is full. If you do not have one it is worth the 30.00 as cuts down on the mess...

Yoop, I am thinking about experimenting with mixing some chokecherries that we are picking this weekend with other fruits in test batches. Any suggestions?

I've never mixed chokecherries with anything except some concord grapes, and some black cherries, so I don't have any experience with that. Chokecherry is pretty good, with a light cherry flavor, and some tannins so it may be good with other fruits. I usually make "straight" wines and blend later if it's needed.

Never had chokecherry wine...but Yoop like the way your kitchen is laid out...I bought a siphone hose with a value that will cut off when bottle is full. If you do not have one it is worth the 30.00 as cuts down on the mess...

I have a bottling wand, and I actually racked all of the wine into a bottling bucket to bottle it. It's easier to add sulfites, and I wanted to rack off of the oak chips. It took several hours, but it's all done now. We ended up with 95 bottles total.

You can't see it in the picture, but my sink is off to the left and the dishwasher is on the island facing the sink. I put the empty bottles on the dishwasher door, and fill them there. Any overfilling spills onto the dishwasher door and then it's easy to just close the door when we're finished! I fill the bottles and put them on the island, and Bob stands on the other side of the island, corking and labeling. It goes pretty well.

Back