Ugh, overshot mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
So I made the mistake of using my digital thermometer to measure my mash temps and I overshot and now I mashed in at 170F. How is this going to affect things? Can I let it cool down to 158F and hold the temp there or is it too late?

it it mashed that hot, it can extract hull tannins and you may have a very harsh beer. The attenuation may be a bit off too, but not sure what other side effects there are. Basically if you got a good OG then you may be okay, but over 168 the extraction stops and you don't get much in the way of sugars usually.

Blarg, I can't cool down the temp and get more sugar extraction? :/

Well, fingers crossed I got it down fast enough. Guess I'll find out in a month. *shrug*

you can taste in into the kettle you will know if your ok, the tannins would be strong and evident my guess is the worst that might happen is you get a dry beer.

My estimated OG was 1.042. My first runnings(just over 4 gal) were 1.055 and my 2nd runnings(about 2 gal) were 1.033 so looks like I'm alright. Doesn't taste off from either portion. :D

Latest posts

Back