cocoa or bakers chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbkg

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm planning on making a Breakfest Stout at about 8.5%abv i plan to toast some oats and maybe add a little of this heady coffee i've been drinking....

but my question is how would some of you guru's suggest me adding chocolate to this Stout, cocoa or bakers chocolate?:confused:

Thanks!

kyle

use cocoa powder, bars of bakers chocolate will still have some residual cocoa oil in it, which will float on top after you biol. This will affect head retention, it is easily fixed by siphoning under the floating oil, leaving about an inch of beer behind, but who wants to waste all that beer.

I agree with the above. Dutch process cocoa. Please, please, please, do not use Hershey's.

The best cocoa powder that I have found is Michel Cluizel Dark Cocoa Powder. It is pricey, but well worth it.

Tom

I second the Dutch-processed.
I'm partial to a high-fat cocoa (20% or more).
Penzeys is my favorite:

Also, I've seen recipes go either way, but I find that completely dissolving the cocoa before adding the malt works best.

Sweet, thanks, My next question is how much should I add if I just want chocolate notes at the end of a drink?

Thanks A LOT!:rockin:

Sweet, thanks, My next question is how much should I add if I just want chocolate notes at the end of a drink?

Using dutch processed cocoa, 4 - 8 ounces is typical for a 5 gallon batch.

It really depends on how much dark malt(s) you add to the grain bill to balance out the chocolate notes. The more dark malt you use, the more cocoa should be added.

I have a chocoloate stout (check my drop down recipes) that uses dark bakers chocolate. I had no trouble with head retention, and it was delicious! Cocoa works great, too.

Back