Strange Brew - without programming??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I've pulled this out of another thread.

Is it reasonably possible for some one with no coding skills to build a Strange Brew controller?

I'm happy with a simple system programming it via a web interface.

If the build is possible were do I find clear and user frendly instructions? Links please :)

Without wishing to seem aggressive or un-grateful for advice, the 1st person who smartly replies "read the thread" (aka RTFM) is an ass... It's what 130 pages or more long!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Aamcle

I'll risk being the ass... If people took the time to share what they've learned, they should take more time for you because you don't want to read? Might pick up a few good extra points along the way, no?

The short answer is yes.

-BD

With your "Yes" it becomes worth wrestling the gorilla of a thread - thanks.

Aamcle

Once you figure out how much your parts list will cost (plus your time) - compare it to the prebuilt Hosehead controller (brewtronix.com). For ~$400, you get a turnkey device with SBE installed, ready to monitor three temperatures, control 2 elements and 2 pumps. I've got 2 brews under my belt with it and love it.

I have the parts and time, In truth have too much spare time.

Aamcle

Cracking me up on two threads so far, chief! First claiming development boards not cheaper than PC hardware, now actually looking for a development board solution, but don't want to put the learning time in. Yet when a turnkey solution is offered, you have too much time!

An exercise in paradoxes - fantastic!

-BD

Time I have, effort not so much!

As for PCs, with the exception of some Mac users and possibly some Chrome book users every body here has one.
So the brain of the system is available at no extra cash outlay, you have spent your $ on it !
I was wrong about the PC interface card they are expensive, some being very expensive making the dev board option attractive.

Now my hobby is Brewing not programming, I enjoy making things and have built my breweries and PID based control boxes.

I have an Arduino and a RasPi, and I would like to do something with them but what I've done with them so far has shown me that -

I don't get much enjoyment from trying to code.
I'm not particularly good at it.

That being the case I'm not keen to learn to code to the standard required to modify a better man's work.

Yes I am inconsistent, but then as Emerson said " A foolish consistency is the Hobgoblin of little minds".

Aamcle

I might know of a great controller that requires no coding..... ;)

I might know of a great controller that requires no coding..... ;)

The Elsinore doesnt require any 'programming' im not really sure what this thread was even asking that for, and the wiring for a BrewTroller/BCS is just as daunting as a SBE or any PID based controller.

If you consider installing an OS and running a script file 'programming', a DIY Controller of any sort is probably not the best solution IMO. When there are things like HoseHead or a premade PID box from TheElectricBrewery.

I'm happy to load an OS for the Pi and run a scrip nor does the physical build worry me, I was however unclear if I would have to settle down and modify things like pin assignments or code.

Atb. Aamcle

Back