Adding spices to secondary quest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
GOING TO ADD SPICES TO PUMPKIN ALE TODAY. HOW MUCH WATER IS NEEDED TO BOIL THEM IN BEFORE ADDING? 1 CUP? ADDING TO A 5 GAL. BATCH
THANKS STEVE:tank:

I did 1 tsp of spices in a cup of water. Stirred it up the spices really good while boiling for a few minutes, and then added while racking to the keg and sloshed the keg around after I had it sealed up and under CO2 pressure.

Why boil them? Boiling drives of aromatics.

They can be added straight; the alcohol in the beer should be sufficient to prevent anything nasty working in there.

If concerned about potential contamination, you could put the spices in a little vodka for a few days to sanitize (only need enough to cover them), and add both the spices and vodka. Or alternatively pasteurize them in hot water (145 F for 20 minutes, or 160 F for 5 seconds).

I generally use vodka or rum. The high alcohol content helps extract some flavors, such as orange oil or vanilla.

Back