Single tap beer towers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyChurch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of designing my kegerator. I'm building a keezer and want to put a line of single tap towers. Sort of like the ones on this site.

http://kegworks.amazonwebstore.com/...tm_medium=CSE&utm_source=FIND&affId=the005-20

I was wondering if I used copper tubing or steel and bending it to a 90 degree angle. Weld on the fitting nut, connect the tube to the fitting, and use the faucet to tighten the fitting. Still alot of designing to do. Any ideas or recommendations would be amazing. Also thoughts on brass versus stainless steel.

All I got to say is a line of five or so of these will look amazing.

Sounds like a very unique design (the row of single taps). No copper or steel, though. The 3/16" beer line is comes with has a beer hex nut that you will connect to a fitting: probably the output of a corny keg, right? No welding involved.

Well I am attempting to actual make a tower similar to this so that I can cut down on cost. It is the constructing of these that I am trying to figure out. Once I got the two ends figured out I can bend it to whatever shape I wanted. Im thinking about going straight up then bending it 90 degrees in front with a 45 after that so that it is level. I just need to figure out how I can mount the faucet and what type of material.

This is a rough sketch up of what I'm thinking about building.

Keezer.jpg

Yeah that certainly would look sweet although $400 just for towers seems a little steep to me...but then again I'm cheap.

That is indeed a very cool design. from what I can see you'll need a shank and shank coupling nut for the side directly attached to the faucet, beer line, hose barb to 1/4" Female fitting for the side that attaches to the keg quick disconnect (QD).

So working from the keg out, assuming you already have the QDs for your keg, and using Austin Homebrew Supply as a supplier:
FFL fitting $1.99 from AHS
a length of beer line (this part runs through the fancy bent tubing you will be creating) $0.55/ft from AHS
A tailpiece or shank coupling (hardest part seems to be finding different colors - most are chrome or stainless) e.g.
2" shank $13.99 <- you'd need a Fitting Kit for Shanks $4.99​
OR
Draft Tower Shank Assembly $39.99 AHS<- I'm not sure if you can bend the angled tailpiece on this one to connect your beer line to but you wouldn't need any special connectors within your outer tubing.​

Quick Disconnect Faucet Adapter $11.99 from AHS<- you'd need a 3/16" hose barb to 1/4" MFL fitting for this one (hose barb goes into beer line, MFL fitting goes into the back of the Quick Disconnect Faucet Adapter).

I suspect the hardest part will be attaching the coupling on the faucet side to your tubing (the connection in your original link appears to be housed in the brass ball just before you attach the faucet).

Good luck and hope this helped.

Addressing the faucet-tower connection. If I see your sketchup correctly, it looks like you're planning to flat-cap the end of your tower and mount the faucets to that. Any way you could run hard line down through the towers? That may have been covered already. Anyway, I'm thinking you could have a like-material (brass or SS, whatever your towers are) washer and mount the faucet to it. Connect the hardline or maybe just an extension of soft line that'll be permanently mounted to the faucet. Run this line through the tower, align your faucet how you want it (presumably handle verticle), and solder/ tack weld/ braze the washer to the tower end. This makes clear sense in my head, so I'll try to get some sort of image later today.

My first thought was to permanently attach the inside-tower shank nut to the washer, but I shied from that just because it may be difficult to properly align the tower. Looking back on it I think either way would work. Kyle

Ya the original ones are far out of the price range of a college student. One idea I was throwing around was using a pipe wiyh a I'd slightly smaller than the shank. Then I could tap threads into it and screw the shank it. I'm still running into the problem of attaching the line to the shank without the usual nut fitting? Are tailpieces good enough material to solder on to the back of the shank? I figure if I did it this way I could always simply unscrew the shank if I had a problem with the line. Also the only tubing I can find is copper and aluminum. Any ideas on how that would look (ie copper with brass faucets or aluminum with stainless)?

I think I saw some shanks with welded nipples on the ends so you wouldn't need the nut. I'm not sure what site that was at, kegconnection maybe. I think brass/copper would look great.

You should not use copper in contact with the liquid anywhere on the cold side of the brewery. The acidity of the beer can cause copper to leach into the liquid and it is toxic in sufficient quantity. Now, you could run plastic beverage line and connect to a shank inside a copper "jacket."

Back